More records ArcGIS.com than in original .csv file after upload and geocoding

Jump to solution
06-30-2016 01:39 PM
JasonMenard
New Contributor

When we upload a 30-row .csv file to ArcGIS.com to create a hosted feature layer, and then geocode the addresses therein, what happens is that the file will apear correctly in ArcGIS.com, but the 30 records will suddenly become 369 records.  Each site is repeated about 11 times.  We did not experience this behavior before the June update.  What could be happening?  The "offending" .csv is attached.  It does work if you leave off the Description column, but that sort of defeats the purpose.  Running it up as a tab-delimited yields the same issue.  Thanks for any ideas.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
KellyGerrow
Esri Frequent Contributor

Hi Bruce,

Jason ran into an issue with how his table was structured. you can read more about the specific bug at this link:

BUG-000097921: In ArcGIS Online, publishing a CSV file as a feature.. 

The particular issue was related to how the spreadsheet was structured. When creating a service out of a csv file, ArcGIS online determines the field length based on the first 10 records. Some entries exceeded the initial field length further down in the csv, causing the duplication. This bug is being worked on by the team. 

If this sounds similar to your data, try adding the longest values as the first records in your spreadsheet. If it seems unrelated, contact support so that they can help look at your data.

-Kelly

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
KellyGerrow

Hi Jason,

Can you log this issue with technical support?

-Kelly

0 Kudos
JasonMenard
New Contributor

Hi Kelly, I did yesterday. Case #01800873. Thanks. -jason

Jason Menard, Ph.D | Geospatial Instructional Technologist

St Olaf College | Information Technology

464 Rølvaag Memorial Library

1510 St Olaf Avenue

Northfield, Minnesota 55057

jcm@stolaf.edu + 507-786-3731 (office) + http://wp.stolaf.edu/it/

*Please consider your environmental responsibility before printing this

email.*

0 Kudos
BruceGodfrey
Occasional Contributor

I was wondering if you resolved this issue.  I am having similar issues.  Thanks, -Bruce

0 Kudos
KellyGerrow

Hi Bruce,

Jason ran into an issue with how his table was structured. you can read more about the specific bug at this link:

BUG-000097921: In ArcGIS Online, publishing a CSV file as a feature.. 

The particular issue was related to how the spreadsheet was structured. When creating a service out of a csv file, ArcGIS online determines the field length based on the first 10 records. Some entries exceeded the initial field length further down in the csv, causing the duplication. This bug is being worked on by the team. 

If this sounds similar to your data, try adding the longest values as the first records in your spreadsheet. If it seems unrelated, contact support so that they can help look at your data.

-Kelly

0 Kudos
BruceGodfrey
Occasional Contributor

I was able to resolve my issue based on the information you provided.  Thank you.  Hopefully the bug will be resolved in the not too distant future.

-Bruce 

0 Kudos