Maps Uploaded From Pro Losing Symbology/Colors

Jump to solution
05-23-2023 11:57 AM
Labels (2)
KMathieuGIS
New Contributor

Ever since the last major update to ArcGIS Pro, I've been having some annoying issues with uploading maps to ArcGIS Online. Namely, every time I upload a new map, it completely loses its custom symbology and colors. Everything uploads grey and my custom point shapes are gone, too. Nothing has changed in my workflow, so I'm not sure why this is happening. 

Before

What I uploadedWhat I uploaded

After, in ArcGIS Online

What it looks like after uploadWhat it looks like after upload

I can restore the symbology to my web map by going in under "Change Style" and selecting "Set Default Style," but I have to do this for every single layer in my map. It's very time consuming when I have a lot of layers. 
Does anyone know if there is a fix for this problem, or if it's just a random bug that I need to report? 

Thanks very much, 
Kristen

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

When sharing from Pro make sure you check on Use symbol types compatible with all clients

Should see that on step 6

https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/help/sharing/overview/share-a-web-map.htm

Can I ask why you use Map Viewer Classic vs. Map Viewer?

thanks!

View solution in original post

4 Replies
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

When sharing from Pro make sure you check on Use symbol types compatible with all clients

Should see that on step 6

https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/help/sharing/overview/share-a-web-map.htm

Can I ask why you use Map Viewer Classic vs. Map Viewer?

thanks!

DanielHoffman-psu
New Contributor II

Thank you Russ!  I was pounding my head on this one.  I was having issues with the symbology not showing in Geoplanner, and using this method totally works now.

0 Kudos
KMathieuGIS
New Contributor

Hi Russ, 

Thanks for your answer. It did fix my problem! Is that something new with the latest update?

As for your question, I'm using Classic for reasons that have a lot less to do with me and a lot more to do with my organization. I'm hoping to get things switched over to the newer version of Map Viewer soon.

Best, Kristen

0 Kudos
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

I think at 3.1 it defaulted to uncheck to publish the symbols with the vector symbology so then Map Viewer could honor how the symbol layers were configured.  Map Viewer Classic and WAB are clients that do not support this configuration. 

thanks for the feedback!