Mapping Dynamic SQL Server XY Data in ArcGIS Online

11-14-2014 11:53 AM
JDonoghue
New Contributor III

Hi Folks,

I have a SQL server database in the Amazon ECW cloud that is populated daily by our fieldworkers. The fieldworkers record non-spatial data that consists of a bunch of attributes, plus UTM Easting and Northing (XY) values. This data is updated daily, and is dynamic and constantly growing.

I want to create a web map in ArcGIS Online that displays the dynamic UTM XY coordinates as points, symbolized by an attribute, with an esri basemap and other static project data that we store in ArcGIS Online. The intent here is to share the map with project managers people and start to use apps like the operations dashboard.

However, I’m not sure the best way to go about this.

For example, when I read that ArcGIS Online could map CSV data from a URL, I created a .net page that generated a dynamic csv file. Using AGO I can load this URL-based CSV file into a new web map and symbolize it accordingly, but I’m never able to save the map, so the data does not persist.

So, what’s the best way to get my SQL data into ArcGIS Online in a dynamic and constantly updating fashion?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

-John

0 Kudos
0 Replies