Select to view content in your preferred language

Map Viewer is slow, including setting default visualization

07-01-2022 01:34 PM
AlfredBaldenweck
MVP Regular Contributor

Does anyone have any suggestions for making new Map viewer not be so slow?

This seems to be a recurring issue. I like a lot of Map Viewer's functionality, but I really am having a hard time waiting for it to do anything.

It is painful to try to make any changes to a map, such as filtering or changing symbology. Forget editing. I understand it on maps with a bunch of stuff, but it's even affecting setting visualization for feature classes on their own item page. I just set symbology for an empty feature class and it took forever to load. I do not mean the map, I mean each menu when you click on it or make any changes.

I'm also confused because all of the applications that use the maps don't seem to have any slowness? Collector/FieldMaps has no problem, for example. Just Map Viewer seems to be slow.

If anyone has any tips for making it not so slow, I'd appreciate it. Thanks!

31 Replies
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

For the Pro setting I don't think there is a way to set this as default on but would recommend posting that in the Pro forum as a Q or Idea. 

Labeling shouldn't be impacted by the checkbox.  JSAPI support for labeling is not at the same level as maplex on a desktop app like Pro. But if you see any issues if you can share a Pro project and I can check it out.

Also for performance would be good to check out the pro project and see the complexity of the symbol and look into any issues. 

For sharing you can toss the pro project into a group and invite russell_jsapi into it.

0 Kudos
GaryPriorOrl
Occasional Contributor

We are seeing this same latency/slowness issue. CPU and GPU (physical and virtual) both strain with the new map viewer, for any amount of map layers and symbology. We were excited to use the Zone Lookup template app as a good fit for our City of Orlando public GIS presence, but the performance is so poor that we may have to revert to using the tried-and-true web app builder. (See my follow-up below)

0 Kudos
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

Can you share the map/app and I can take a look. 

0 Kudos
GaryPriorOrl
Occasional Contributor

Hi Russ, Thanks for the prompt reply! Here's the link:

https://orl.maps.arcgis.com/apps/instant/lookup/index.html?appid=8e2d22b94c224e26af59509087dbd56d

Russ, please see my status update posted above. So if your team can or has found any other methods (than what I've tried so far) to enhance the new web apps perf please let us know! Thanks

0 Kudos
GaryPriorOrl
Occasional Contributor

Status update:

Wanting to make this new Instant App (Zone Lookup) work for our need... After more testing in different browsers (Edge, Safari) found that this app performed much faster than in Chrome, apparently due to how each browser utilizes the device gpu. Tried to make browser settings changes in Chrome but had little if any effect. However, found that we had inadvertently set some layer effects changes in the new map viewer that when removed helped boost perf. Further, we replaced a very heavy geometric layer (Orlando city limits, set as a dynamic) to be included in the base map tile cache it also improved overall perf. So while these tweaks made a great stride in perf, it is still much slower (in all browsers we tested) than older web apps or a custom app (our older web app for migrating to this new one) using pure JavaScript code. 

0 Kudos
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

thanks for sending these samples along. Taking a look at them.  👍

0 Kudos
GaryPriorOrl
Occasional Contributor

Russ, Thanks for your feedback so far...

So I have a different issue to ask about (same web app), that is, for the option "Panel syncs with map" to allow users to zoom to result on map (area feature boundary). For each successive results (locator search or map click) a different map layer's boundary is randomly displayed. It would be okay if each successive result displayed the same layer boundary, but not so. Any ideas?

0 Kudos
GaryPriorOrl
Occasional Contributor

Update: Within a month after our new Zone Lookup Instant App went into production the issues we were seeing during development and testing (app performance) have greatly reduced. Not sure what changed to effect this but apparently the recent updates to AGOL may have helped. This improvement seems to apply to all browsers (including on Android OS) that I have tested so far. Thank you!

0 Kudos
LarsElmkær_Chwastek
Frequent Contributor

@RussRoberts Any updates on the performance issues in Map viewer and Experience builder?

We are having the same issues, with bad performance in Map viewer and Experience builder, but great performance in Web appbuilder. As mentioned in some earlier posts, the performance improves in Map viewer when going from "Layers" to for instance Legend view. But still not as good as in Web appbuilder.

We hven't found the cause, but I would imagine that some specific type of data/service/settings on data is not working well with the new JS code, otherwise there would be pandemonioum in sthe streets, if it was a general problem. 🙂

We have a support ticket ongoing with our Danish Esri distributor, so hoping for feedback from them as well. But I can't share maps here, since the data is sensitive.

Thanks  

0 Kudos
Gjermund
Emerging Contributor

We have also experienced similar issues, with a much slower map viewer compared to the classic version. After watching some performance recordings, our assumption is that the new map viewer triggers a refresh of the layer list every time the map extent changes. This might happen 50 times while panning, and for every time, the re-rendering of the layer list, might cause a 100-120ms delay if the layer list is long. This makes the panning laggy. As others also have mentioned in this thread: when opening the basemap pane, everything feels much smoother, and the map still loads data while panning the map, but since the layerlist is not present in the web page, the refresh that happens goes much quicker and is no longer an issue. We have had a support ticket for this issue using our local distributor as well, and now it has been created as a bug in the support system. Please log in and escalate the bug, to make it a priority for Esri:  https://my.esri.com/#/support/bugs/bugs?bugNumber=BUG-000166635

0 Kudos