Select to view content in your preferred language

Map Viewer - Filter History

Jump to solution
09-28-2023 10:08 AM
MobiusSnake
MVP Regular Contributor

Hi, I just finished watching a webinar that aired today, "Analysis in ArcGIS Online", which primarily discussed the new Map Viewer.

While applying a filter to a layer of counties, the presenter briefly mentioned that it suggested he'd use something like "State = 'Texas'" because he'd done the demo previously, and it used that history to provide a suggestion.  This is new to me, I've never heard or noticed anything about this.

A few questions about this:

• What types of Map Viewer configurations or operations are tracked in this manner?  For example, is locator input tracked?
  • Where is this history tracked?  Is it stored along with the web map, the layer, the user, or elsewhere?
  • Is it possible to purge this history?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
SarahAmbrose
Esri Contributor

Hi @MobiusSnake I'm on the web analysis teams and can answer these questions.

You are right, in Map Viewer we now keep a history of analysis in the map so you can easily rerun tools, review failures and messages, and iterate on your analysis. There is documentation on history here.

So for your specific questions:

1. The only things stored in history are what you see in the history panel. This includes:

• The parameters (including input layer URL and filters)
  • Any errors or warnings about the job
  • The time it completed, the status, and any credits consumed
  • The output layer

SarahAmbrose_0-1695991532482.png

2. The history is stored within your web map. If you don't save the web map, your history is gone. 

3. You can delete the history items by clicking on the X. You also don't need to save the web map, if you just want your results, and have no need for the history.

SarahAmbrose_1-1695991558780.png

Please let us know if you have any follow up questions,

Sarah Ambrose
Product Engineer, Web Analysis

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
RobinDiSalvo1
Frequent Contributor

I was on the same webinar.  It's replaying again right now https://www.esri.com/training/catalog/64dbc9f56e1a611a7491c66c/analysis-in-arcgis-online/

Maybe Derek can answer this question for you.

0 Kudos
SarahAmbrose
Esri Contributor

Hi @MobiusSnake I'm on the web analysis teams and can answer these questions.

You are right, in Map Viewer we now keep a history of analysis in the map so you can easily rerun tools, review failures and messages, and iterate on your analysis. There is documentation on history here.

So for your specific questions:

1. The only things stored in history are what you see in the history panel. This includes:

• The parameters (including input layer URL and filters)
  • Any errors or warnings about the job
  • The time it completed, the status, and any credits consumed
  • The output layer

SarahAmbrose_0-1695991532482.png

2. The history is stored within your web map. If you don't save the web map, your history is gone. 

3. You can delete the history items by clicking on the X. You also don't need to save the web map, if you just want your results, and have no need for the history.

SarahAmbrose_1-1695991558780.png

Please let us know if you have any follow up questions,

Sarah Ambrose
Product Engineer, Web Analysis

0 Kudos
MobiusSnake
MVP Regular Contributor

Thanks Sarah, totally makes sense for analysis tools.  I must've misunderstood, I got the impression that filters were being persisted somewhere, which made me wonder if the where clause parameter to the REST API's /query endpoint was being persisted during calls.

0 Kudos