Map Upload to ArcGIS Online Takes an Hour

Jump to solution
10-18-2021 03:49 PM
worro
by
New Contributor II

My project in ArcGIS Pro is fairly large (25.8 MB, GDB is 1.65 GB) and I have lots of layers and tables. When I upload my project to the online portal it takes over an hour, and usually at least one or two tries since it fails those times. Is this normal? I have tried to clean my project up more but it didn't really change anything (I haven't removed the tables, but the tables aren't being shown in my contents page, they're in my gdb). 

If it is just because my project is bigger then I can live with it, but I'm just worried there is an issue with the project itself/or just something I'm not doing that is affecting upload time. If anyone has any tips it is much appreciated!

Thank you~

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Since a File GDB consists of huge number of binary files rather than a single large file, the upload time is relatively much higher.

You need to ensure that consistent internet connectivity is maintained. Pinging a website from command prompt is a way to check if the internet went down.

JayantaPoddar_0-1634599637802.png

Think Location

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I hope you have an organizational account.

If you are looking to upload the project for download purpose only, then you could Share a project package.

In case you want to publish the File Geodatabase content as web layer, then you could publish the zipped File Geodatabase (.zip).

What can you add to ArcGIS Online?—ArcGIS Online Help | Documentation

Think Location
0 Kudos
worro
by
New Contributor II

Hello,

I have been able to upload as a web layer, and am focused on uploading for story map purposes. It just takes a long time so I was worried if there were other issues going on that I was unaware of. Are there any tips for shortening the upload time? And yes, I have an organizational account. 

0 Kudos
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Since a File GDB consists of huge number of binary files rather than a single large file, the upload time is relatively much higher.

You need to ensure that consistent internet connectivity is maintained. Pinging a website from command prompt is a way to check if the internet went down.

JayantaPoddar_0-1634599637802.png

Think Location
0 Kudos
worro
by
New Contributor II

Okay, sounds good. Thank you!

0 Kudos