Live Linking Related Table to Excel

Jump to solution
02-15-2023 12:17 PM
Labels (2)
RGrantHRG
New Contributor

I am trying to find out if it is possible to have a live link between a locally stored Excel document and a related table attached to a point on ArcGIS Online. We have some personnel that will be making frequent edits to the data in the related table that do not have familiarity with GIS. 

If this won't work for ArcGIS Online, would there be a scenario for it to work through Enterprise geodatabase and data store?

Thank you

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

A question like this comes up pretty regularly here, and the short answer is "no". A slightly longer answer is "kind of, but it won't be as simple as you'd like".

If the data needs to reside in a local Excel file, consider using the ArcGIS Python API to regularly update a hosted "mirror" of the data. This allows editing to continue in its current process, and keeps the hosted layer up to date at whatever interval fits your use case.

Regarding your second question, yes, I suppose something like that could work. But then you're switching all your users to editing a database table instead of an excel file, which could be a complicated procedure depending on the edits being made and how your users expect to interact with the data.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

A question like this comes up pretty regularly here, and the short answer is "no". A slightly longer answer is "kind of, but it won't be as simple as you'd like".

If the data needs to reside in a local Excel file, consider using the ArcGIS Python API to regularly update a hosted "mirror" of the data. This allows editing to continue in its current process, and keeps the hosted layer up to date at whatever interval fits your use case.

Regarding your second question, yes, I suppose something like that could work. But then you're switching all your users to editing a database table instead of an excel file, which could be a complicated procedure depending on the edits being made and how your users expect to interact with the data.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
0 Kudos
RGrantHRG
New Contributor

Thank you! Really appreciate the answer.

I tried to look for similar questions before posting myself and couldn't find any.

Again, thanks!

0 Kudos