Limitations or formatting issues for imported csv/xls to featured layer?

Jump to solution
02-01-2019 07:36 AM
RobertCodispoti
New Contributor

Hello all,

I'm still getting a feel for ArcGIS Online and I'm currently working on a project that has rapidly expanded and have been requested to implement a function to search the data sets being displaying on the map.  As it is now I currently have the data just imported into the map editor in groups of 200 row csv files as it wouldn't take the originals (900+ rows on some).

It's my understanding, and please correct me if I'm wrong, that I can host the full data sets (whether csv or original excel spreadsheet) as a featured layer and function in the same fashion as split csv's that I'm using now but consolidated and searchable with the built in search functions.  I have a creator license and that came with 500 credits which seem to have been consumed very quickly and without anything actually coming from it.  I've tried adding the 900 row spreadsheets as featured data layers but I get data errors, blank lists when attempting to match data, and no visible data when the layer is added to the map.

I don't totally grasp the concept of credits yet despite briefly glossing over the documentation but I assume that this data matching for the featured layer is what consumed the credits.  I tried multiple different large spreadsheets that all refused to display matches and had data errors so I'm guessing that added up to 500 quickly.

In summary I'm trying to understand the following:

Am I correct in thinking featured layers should be able to handle these large (relatively) data sets?

Is my reasoning regarding credit consumption correct and is there any way of having the credits refunded as none of the feature layers worked?

If I can get the data sets imported as featured layers, should they be searchable with the built in map search functions?

I can provide a spreadsheet privately to support staff for troubleshooting purposes, please message me.

Thanks!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AdamEversole1
Esri Contributor

Hey Robert, 

You have presented several concerns that need to be addressed, If I may, I'll try to break it down and give some advice on what to do for each. 

1) Credits Disappearing fast, Understanding Credits, and Geocoding.

The Credits in ArcGIS online are used for Storage of data, Online Geoprocessing, or using Premium Demographic layers. They are essentially your access to spin up and utilize the online Services we provide. The Credits allow you time on the Servers not necessarily results in the processing. 

This Documentation page covers everything about credits, and what processes will use them. As credits are fundamental to experience of ArcGIS online I recommend  a thorough understanding from top to bottom,  If you have any specific questions or need clarification please let me know.

Understand credits—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS 

One of the Geoprocessing operations includes Geocoding, Its happens when Tabular data with Addresses are geolocated into Features.  It's likely you used your credits 40 credits per 1000 records with this functionality when performing the matches.  500 credits could get used pretty quick by Bringing in a 1000 record CSV multiple times. 

Note, having a Latitude and a Longitude fields in your data instead of an address will allow you to create Features without the use of geocoding or using any service credits. 

2) Hosting Full Datasets.

- The Results of your Geocoding is either Publish A hosted Feature layer, or a Feature collection in the map.

- If you have a Feature Layer (Hosted) you will see it also in your content, this data type is very robust and can store hundreds of thousands of records. 

- If your result was a Feature Collection, It's only saved in the map item, A Json list on the backside. it has limitations to how many features it holds.

3) Searching functions

-  The default Search function in a webmap uses the Geocoder. (Same Geocoding described above, but note single line inputs here never use any credits)

-  To search against your data, You will want to organize your data into as few layers as possible. Put them in a Web Map, then Create a Application with either Web AppBuilder or Configurable template. The applications have additional options to use your feature layers as a Search source. For example see Step 4 in this doc on the Web AppBuilder Search Widget.

4) Getting Error when attempting to match data.

- Please Feel free to reach out to our support team, This way you can share some of the data, your end goal, and how your going about it , and we can work with you to overcome this error and get you to where you need to be. Feel free to mention my name and this thread and I'm glad to help out on your case too. 

Regards

- Adam E

View solution in original post

2 Replies
AdamEversole1
Esri Contributor

Hey Robert, 

You have presented several concerns that need to be addressed, If I may, I'll try to break it down and give some advice on what to do for each. 

1) Credits Disappearing fast, Understanding Credits, and Geocoding.

The Credits in ArcGIS online are used for Storage of data, Online Geoprocessing, or using Premium Demographic layers. They are essentially your access to spin up and utilize the online Services we provide. The Credits allow you time on the Servers not necessarily results in the processing. 

This Documentation page covers everything about credits, and what processes will use them. As credits are fundamental to experience of ArcGIS online I recommend  a thorough understanding from top to bottom,  If you have any specific questions or need clarification please let me know.

Understand credits—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS 

One of the Geoprocessing operations includes Geocoding, Its happens when Tabular data with Addresses are geolocated into Features.  It's likely you used your credits 40 credits per 1000 records with this functionality when performing the matches.  500 credits could get used pretty quick by Bringing in a 1000 record CSV multiple times. 

Note, having a Latitude and a Longitude fields in your data instead of an address will allow you to create Features without the use of geocoding or using any service credits. 

2) Hosting Full Datasets.

- The Results of your Geocoding is either Publish A hosted Feature layer, or a Feature collection in the map.

- If you have a Feature Layer (Hosted) you will see it also in your content, this data type is very robust and can store hundreds of thousands of records. 

- If your result was a Feature Collection, It's only saved in the map item, A Json list on the backside. it has limitations to how many features it holds.

3) Searching functions

-  The default Search function in a webmap uses the Geocoder. (Same Geocoding described above, but note single line inputs here never use any credits)

-  To search against your data, You will want to organize your data into as few layers as possible. Put them in a Web Map, then Create a Application with either Web AppBuilder or Configurable template. The applications have additional options to use your feature layers as a Search source. For example see Step 4 in this doc on the Web AppBuilder Search Widget.

4) Getting Error when attempting to match data.

- Please Feel free to reach out to our support team, This way you can share some of the data, your end goal, and how your going about it , and we can work with you to overcome this error and get you to where you need to be. Feel free to mention my name and this thread and I'm glad to help out on your case too. 

Regards

- Adam E

RobertCodispoti
New Contributor

Thank you Adam,

I'll be in touch with support when I get the chance to start troubleshooting this again.

0 Kudos