Limitations on Export data?

Jump to solution
11-13-2013 06:51 AM
ColleenKiley
New Contributor
I've posted a feature service for a group of engineering firms to use.  Many will want to use the data in CAD, or in Google Earth.  I've enabled Exporting of data (or so I thought) by checking the "Allow others to export to shapefile, CSV, geodatabase or KML."

However, none of my users can download the data.  The drop down arrow on the feature service page next to each data layer shows the option only to go to the service URL.

ESRI help tells me that the user can download the data if this is true:
"You aren't the service owner or the administrator, but the service owner or administrator has configured the hosted feature service to allow others to export the data.

This setting can be changed by clicking Edit on the feature service's item details page and clicking Allow others to export to shapefile, CSV, geodatabase, or KML under the Properties list. "

What am I doing wrong?  Are there actually limitations on exporting the data that aren't mentioned in the help?
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Thank you for the clarification.
Following your lead I created a Hosted Feature Service (off of my Feature Service)
Then 'View Item Details' and enabled data export.
Then added the Hosted FS (with full edit control) to an AGOL web map, saved and shared the web map. 
Next added a feature, then when I go to perform analysis, manage data, extract data - delineate the feature I want to extract - and hit show credit; the box that appears I should disregard? 
After I hit Run Analysis - the data does indeed download, then I check my AGOL Org Statistics and I see one (new) Spatial Analysis Request.

Just seeking clarification.
See the attached screenshot

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
I've posted a feature service for a group of engineering firms to use.  Many will want to use the data in CAD, or in Google Earth.  I've enabled Exporting of data (or so I thought) by checking the "Allow others to export to shapefile, CSV, geodatabase or KML."

However, none of my users can download the data.  The drop down arrow on the feature service page next to each data layer shows the option only to go to the service URL.

ESRI help tells me that the user can download the data if this is true:
"You aren't the service owner or the administrator, but the service owner or administrator has configured the hosted feature service to allow others to export the data.

This setting can be changed by clicking Edit on the feature service's item details page and clicking Allow others to export to shapefile, CSV, geodatabase, or KML under the Properties list. "

What am I doing wrong?  Are there actually limitations on exporting the data that aren't mentioned in the help?

Yes, Yes and Yes.  I am experiencing the same problem.
One map does not allow for extraction - tells me I'm not the owner of the data.  Yes I am.  I'm admin too.  When I try to view/edit the "Item Details" of the service - there is no option to enable extraction.  In fact there are no "Item details" to edit at all.
Another map - allows me to extract data.  BUT it never arrives in my content.

My issues started yesterday.
0 Kudos
DanielStauning
Esri Contributor
Colleen,

You'll have to belong to the organization and be logged in order to extract the data from a hosted feature service:

http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/arcgisonline/index.html#//010q000000mz000000

"Steps:
-Log in to the ArcGIS.com website and open the item details for the features you want to export.
- If you own the features, click My Content and click the item title.
- If you do not own the features, search for the layer, and click the layer name in the search results list."

You may consider adding either a zipped shapefile, map package or a layer package as an item to your content. Anonymous user's will then be able to navigate to the item, download it and extract the data to their local files systems.

- Daniel
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Daniel,
You state 'hosted feature service';
Is it not possible to extract data from a service I created and am hosting on my server.

Yes I have AGOL Org, yes I am logged in.

For the map I was 'successful' at extracting data, when I look at my AGOL Org statistics; there is no indication (requests/credit usage) that data extract even took place, despite being told it was and to look in "My content" for the downloaded file.
0 Kudos
ColleenKiley
New Contributor
Will the layer package solution allow users to get kml data?
0 Kudos
DanielStauning
Esri Contributor
Justin,

Exporting data from feature services in ArcGIS Online is only supported for hosted feature services, feature services that have been published to ArcGIS Online and are hosted in the esri cloud. It won't work for feature services that have been published to your own on-premise GIS server; ArcMap can be used for that purpose. There is no credit charge for feature service transactions or outbound data transfer, credits are only charged for storage of hosted feature services. If you've registered your own feature services as items in your content, you will not be charged.
http://www.arcgis.com/features/plans/credits.html

Coleen,

You can zip your KML files and add them as items to your content which can be downloaded by anonymous users if you choose to share them with everyone.
http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/arcgisonline/index.html#/What_can_you_add_to_ArcGIS_Online/010q0...

Thanks,
-Daniel
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Thank you for the clarification.
Following your lead I created a Hosted Feature Service (off of my Feature Service)
Then 'View Item Details' and enabled data export.
Then added the Hosted FS (with full edit control) to an AGOL web map, saved and shared the web map. 
Next added a feature, then when I go to perform analysis, manage data, extract data - delineate the feature I want to extract - and hit show credit; the box that appears I should disregard? 
After I hit Run Analysis - the data does indeed download, then I check my AGOL Org Statistics and I see one (new) Spatial Analysis Request.

Just seeking clarification.
See the attached screenshot
0 Kudos
DanielStauning
Esri Contributor
Justin,

This is a different scenario that what we had discussed previously, I was under the impression that you were attempting to export data from the feature service item description page. In this case, the credit charge is for the Extract Data task in the Perform Analysis tools, these are ready to use geoprocessing services that are built into the map viewer.

- Daniel
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
No worries, I did change directions.  What was the thought process/reason to not enable data extraction from a Feature Service originating from a local ArcServer.  (other than to drive me to Hosted services/credit usage)  There are plenty of casual GIS users who utilize webmaps but still fire up ArcMap to make custom maps, data extraction would facilitate that.  Getting them to add a GIS server makes sense to me, but doesn't necessarily make sense to the casual/once a week user.
0 Kudos