Limit the extent of a webmap

01-03-2023 02:06 AM
Labels (1)
Oliver_Burdekin
Occasional Contributor II

Is there a way to limit the extent of a webmap? I have a custom basemap that only cover the area of interest and I would like to prevent the user from panning / zooming around the whole world and keep them within the limit of the basemap.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
CarmelConnolly
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Oliver,

I don't believe this is possible in the webmap itself but it is a configurable option in some of the Instant Apps applications through a 'Navigation boundary' setting: keeps the area in the map in focus by using a navigation boundary or disabling the ability to scroll.

https://<yourorganisationname>.maps.arcgis.com/apps/instantgallery/index.html?tab=browseAll

You can narrow down the options by searching for 'Navigation boundary':

CarmelConnolly_0-1672755475107.png

In the app, disable 'Express' mode and the 'Navigation boundary' will be an option through the menu. This is what it looks like in the Basic app:

CarmelConnolly_1-1672755674068.png

RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

@CarmelConnolly  is right, the web map spec currently does not have a property to set the max navigational extent. 

Oliver_Burdekin
Occasional Contributor II

Thanks @CarmelConnolly that solution would work for a standalone app. As I understand it web apps cannot be added to the new storymaps in sidecar or slideshow mode. I suppose one work around would just be to make the maps non-navigable and embed an app with Naivgation boundary set at the end of the storymap.

Update! Just realised I can "embed" an app in sidecar

0 Kudos
CarmelConnolly
Esri Regular Contributor

Oh interesting, I see that embedding web apps doesn't working using the + option, but have you tried the Add > Embed option? I was able to embed a web app as background app, that was interactive with the navigation boundary. 

CarmelConnolly_0-1672830911751.png

0 Kudos