Labeling in ArcGIS Online

08-14-2013 12:57 PM
PennyMiller
New Contributor
Hi -
I am using the free trial version of ArcGis Online - unless I am doing it wrong, I don't think that I can label features? Thanks!
Penny
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
9 Replies
TimWitt
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos
PennyMiller
New Contributor
It does help.....but ugh, what a pain!
Thanks!
0 Kudos
ConniePokorny
New Contributor
Is this honestly the only solution?  I've seen others say their lablels were viewable in ArcGIS Online when using Maplex (did not work for me) others have said it needs to be a tiled service.

Has, or IS Esri coming up with a solution for labeling hosted feature classes?  This seems like a very basic need to me, when will this be available?
0 Kudos
AkosKisreti1
Occasional Contributor
You are right, the only way to use labels is to publish a hosted tiled service

Akos
0 Kudos
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
We are working on labeling... However, no release date is set as of yet... Thanks for your patience.

Mike
0 Kudos
JonathanMcKaskey1
New Contributor II
Any update on labeling functionality of ArcGIS online?
0 Kudos
DonPritt
Occasional Contributor II
Any update on labeling functionality of ArcGIS online?

Yea, what he said....
0 Kudos
MichaelLohr
Occasional Contributor II
Maybe this doesn't work for everyone, but we serve some data layers to the online maps from our own ArcGIS server, and we do the standard labeling in the MXD file prior to publishing. It seems to behave pretty well on both public maps and on limited access maps. We do have an organizational account.
0 Kudos
TimWitt
Frequent Contributor
Michael,

you are right this is the only way at the moment to label. You can do the same thing if you have an organizational account without a local ArcGIS server, but this will cost credits.
0 Kudos