Items owned by a Public Account must be shared to everyonebefore sharing to a group.

Jump to solution
08-15-2013 02:58 PM
PaulHuffman
Occasional Contributor III
I had to remake a map with shape file imports because my local ArcServer is down.  It contains some sensitive info from some other agencies. I reassured them that I could make the map only visible to our group, not the public, like last year. So why am I getting this message when I try to adjust the maps sharing? : "Items owned by a Public Account must be shared to everyone before sharing to a group. "  I have other maps in my account that are not shared with everyone. Did my account type get modified since the last time I saved these maps?
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
I'm guessing you have a public account, not a subscription. The sharing policy changed in March 2013.

New sharing workflows for public accounts???Public accounts, previously known as personal accounts, can no longer create private groups, join private or organizational groups, or share items to groups unless the items are shared with everybody (public). Existing private items in public groups will remain private; ArcGIS Online will not turn existing private items or groups public.

It may work if you have an existing map that is privately shared to a group, and modify it. But I'm not positive.

Thanks,

Mike

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
I'm guessing you have a public account, not a subscription. The sharing policy changed in March 2013.

New sharing workflows for public accounts???Public accounts, previously known as personal accounts, can no longer create private groups, join private or organizational groups, or share items to groups unless the items are shared with everybody (public). Existing private items in public groups will remain private; ArcGIS Online will not turn existing private items or groups public.

It may work if you have an existing map that is privately shared to a group, and modify it. But I'm not positive.

Thanks,

Mike
0 Kudos
PaulHuffman
I have some map projects modified July 31, 2013 that are not shared.  I was able to add the new features to an old map and it remained not shared.
0 Kudos
PaulMcCombsReplicant
New Contributor

This is the only match that google found when I googled for Esri Portal "Change share level for items
Items owned by a Public Account must be shared to Everyone before sharing to a group. Update share levels to Everyone and go to Group Sharing?"

I was having a problem where I had shared a feature layer that was referenced to an Enterprise geodatabase feature class with a group on our Enterprise Portal, but the users in the group could not load the layer into the map or the app that were consuming the layer. With the help of coworkers we discovered that you must share the image layer and the feature layer that are created with the group. That was not known to me.

I hope that helps someone else.

0 Kudos
AbeCoughlin

FYI - I've just received the same message within a new install of ArcGIS Enterprise 10.9.1.

I had just published a simple enterprise database dataset via ArcGIS Pro 2.9.9.

• I had published both a map and feature layer referencing the database dataset.
  • I had shared it to a specific group only.

On viewing the items in Portal I noticed they hadn't been shared, so I selected both and went to share it, and that is when I received the message.

A key oddity with this is that it is ArcGIS Enterprise, not AGO, thus 'public' vs 'subscription' accounts don't appear to be relevant.

AbeCoughlin_0-1686672948090.png

Exploration of the issue:

• My user belonged to the group I was sharing to, but just as a Member.
    • When I set my user to be a group Manager and retried, I had the same problem.
  • My user is a modified 'Administrator' role, without xxxx.
    • When I set my user to be the full 'Administrator' role OR the 'Publisher' role OR a modified 'Publisher' role and retried, I had success
  • Reviewing the permissions for the modified 'Administrator' role, I saw in the Sharing section that I had not allowed 'Share with Portal' - allowing this and retrying resulted in success.
    • Note that I had not allowed 'Share with portal' as I had already allowed the 'Share with groups', the option above it - I believed that the permission to share with groups would allow me to share with the portal (surely one cannot happen without the other?).

AbeCoughlin_1-1686674549810.png

Summary Statements

• It appears some remnants/components of AGO exist within the Enterprise implementation (in this the oddly worded warning message above). 
  • Permissions for roles are not inclusive, i.e. checking one permission does not necessarily include the other permission even if logically it should (yes, my logic!).
  • Recommendation - change the order of the permissions - put 'Share with portal' above 'Share with groups', and possibly link 'Share with groups' with 'Share with portal' - I cannot think of a reason why you could share with a group but not the Portal.