Issues uploading from ArcPro to ArcGIS Online?

07-15-2019 12:02 PM
RyanHowell1
New Contributor III

I have a point feature class that I update about once a week using ArcPro, then I use "Overwrite Web Layer" to publish it to ArcGIS Online. It is in a fancy story map and this process has been smooth and has worked great until a couple of months ago.

Now, I use "Overwrite Web Layer" to push it to the web, but when I load my online map it says that the layer cannot be added to the map (the layer that used to exist, but was replaced by the updated version moments before). I have to re-add it to the map and re-do all of my functions within the story map, etc to get it where it was before. It isn't that time consuming, but it's starting to be a real hassle.

I'm not sure why it suddenly stopped working. I've made sure the names are the same, and I'm not really sure what else to look at. Is there something else I'm missing, or some other way I can improve my workflow so I don't have to manually correct my story map every time I update the layer? 

0 Kudos
3 Replies
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III

Are you actually changing the settings for the feature service once a week?  or are you just updating attributes in the point feature, adding and deleting. etc.

If you are just making edits you don't need to publish the service every week.

0 Kudos
RyanHowell1
New Contributor III

I am adding points to my point feature class within a file geodatabase, and then overwriting that on to the existing file on ArcGIS Online. After I do that, it looks like the online map and web app lose the connection with the layer and I have to re-add it.

It's very possible I'm missing something obvious though

0 Kudos
Fidelity_NationalTitle
New Contributor III

I've had a similar experience this spring with 1/2 dozen services. The best thing we can figure is it is caused if I'm on the VPN when I overwrite, but Im curious to hear if others are experiencing this

0 Kudos