Issues republishing hosted feature service in AGO

Jump to solution
10-25-2013 08:17 AM
SusanMoore
New Contributor III
I'm using ArcGIS Desktop 10.1 to publish hosted feature services into our AGO Org account. When I try to republish a service by doing an overwrite, I'm getting very mixed results.

Today, for example, I published a new hosted service in AGO. I wanted to republish it by using the Overwrite, but it doesn't even show up in my list of hosted services. I can see that the service was successfully publishing in AGO, but my list of hosted services won't refresh in ArcMap, even if I reboot. I tried creating a new service w/the same name, but it tells me the service already exists.

Earlier this week, I was trying to republish other hosted service from ArcMap by doing overwrites. Sometimes it would work, but sometimes after republishing, the hosted service became inaccessible in AGO (I'd receive an error when clicking on the services that says it is "does not exist or is no longer accessible"). If I kept trying to republish, it would eventually work.

Other times earlier this week, I would try to republish, and after I selected the Continue button on the Overwrite an Existing Service and answered "Yes" to continue, nothing would happen. I would just be returned to my MXD. Again, if I tried it over and over, it would eventually work.

Has anyone else had these issues? I'm finding it very frustrating to do the same workflow over and over until it works. I submitted an incident to tech support on Monday, but I haven't received any assistance yet.

Thanks,
Susan
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
27 Replies
BrianBerube
New Contributor

I too am experiencing as Jarom Hlebasko, I am using ArcGIS 10.2.23.3552 for Desktop and everytimem I go to publish over an existing map service I get up to the Warnining message dialog box, click 'yes' and get booted back into my Arcmap session. Any know resolution for this?

0 Kudos
SheikhHafiz
New Contributor II

I was having same problem from 10.2 and now I have upgraded it to 10.3.1 but still having same problem!!

0 Kudos
FrankVignati
Occasional Contributor II

Having the same issue as described by , 10.2.2

Is there a reason/fix for this

0 Kudos
JaromHlebasko
Occasional Contributor III

​Finally an answer. This behavior is occurring because the service definition (SD) file has been deleted from your ArcGIS Online account at some point in time. When you publish your hosted feature service, a SD file is automatically created. If you have this along with the hosted feature service, you should be able to overwrite your service as expected. However, if the SD file has been deleted, you will experience what is being described in this post.

This is a bug that Esri is aware of but it is not an escalated bug. There is no timeframe when it will be fixed. You should not have to keep the SD file once the hosted feature service has been published. Rule of thumb for now, keep the SD file for a hosted feature layer you know you may need to overwrite.

0 Kudos
FrankVignati
Occasional Contributor II

The feature service published still had the definition file, but would not overwrite. A new coded value had been added to the domain on one of the fields and (maybe) that was why.

0 Kudos
AlanRex1
Esri Contributor

Just to quickly follow up on Jarom's post, the bug in question is "NIM098200 - Unable to overwrite a hosted feature service without a service definition in My Content."  The severity of the bug is currently set to Medium.  Anyone with a tech support case attached to that bug who has a maintenance contact can request a bug escalation using the steps in the following blog:

Bug Escalation Process via the UAG | Support Services Blog

0 Kudos
CharlesGuiam1
New Contributor II
Other times earlier this week, I would try to republish, and after I selected the Continue button on the Overwrite an Existing Service and answered "Yes" to continue, nothing would happen. I would just be returned to my MXD. Again, if I tried it over and over, it would eventually work.

I am running Desktop 10.3.0.4322. I am having this issue with overwriting a service. I have the same usual workflow of editing my MXD (adding a new file GDB feature class and publish) and previously was able to overwrite the service. Today when I answer yes to continue overwriting the same service in AGOL, the publishing window doesn't appear and I return to the MXD. The only difference in my workflow today was editing my MXD map document properties, however the publishing window did not appear even before I edited the map document properties. Bug?

0 Kudos
Mtclimber03
Occasional Contributor

I have the same thing going on with 10.3

0 Kudos