Issues republishing hosted feature service in AGO

Jump to solution
10-25-2013 08:17 AM
SusanMoore
New Contributor III
I'm using ArcGIS Desktop 10.1 to publish hosted feature services into our AGO Org account. When I try to republish a service by doing an overwrite, I'm getting very mixed results.

Today, for example, I published a new hosted service in AGO. I wanted to republish it by using the Overwrite, but it doesn't even show up in my list of hosted services. I can see that the service was successfully publishing in AGO, but my list of hosted services won't refresh in ArcMap, even if I reboot. I tried creating a new service w/the same name, but it tells me the service already exists.

Earlier this week, I was trying to republish other hosted service from ArcMap by doing overwrites. Sometimes it would work, but sometimes after republishing, the hosted service became inaccessible in AGO (I'd receive an error when clicking on the services that says it is "does not exist or is no longer accessible"). If I kept trying to republish, it would eventually work.

Other times earlier this week, I would try to republish, and after I selected the Continue button on the Overwrite an Existing Service and answered "Yes" to continue, nothing would happen. I would just be returned to my MXD. Again, if I tried it over and over, it would eventually work.

Has anyone else had these issues? I'm finding it very frustrating to do the same workflow over and over until it works. I submitted an incident to tech support on Monday, but I haven't received any assistance yet.

Thanks,
Susan
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
27 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
There is a bug for the issue when the service is not in the root folder:
NIM080606 - An ArcGIS Online hosted feature service can only be overwritten if it is located in the user's root content directory

We have not been able to reproduce the second issue of publishing with the option to overwrite when the item and service name have changed. We will keep trying.

Thank you,
Andrew
0 Kudos
KevinWatt
New Contributor III
We just upgraded to 10.2.1.  I published a dynamic (non-tiled) feature service to our AGOL organization.  When i viewed it in a web map, I noticed a few fields I didnt want included in the web service.  I went back to Desktop and removed a few fields, and republished the map service using the option to overwrite the existing service.  On the Desktop side it said it was successfull. When I try to open it in ArcGIS.com it says the map service is inaccessible or does not exist.  It is located in my organizations root folder. 

I thought this issue was supposed to be fixed at 10.2.1?
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Hi Kevin,

This was fixed in 10.2.1, and if you're still having an issue I would recommend contacting Esri Support Services, so an analyst can take a look and provide some detailed troubleshooting.

Hope that helps,
Andrew
0 Kudos
SimonJackson
Occasional Contributor III
NIM080606 - An ArcGIS Online hosted feature service can only be overwritten if it is located in the user's root content directory

Just pointing out that I have replicated this same issue in 10.2.2
larrycamp
New Contributor III
I also have problems overwriting existing services.
ArcGIS 10.2.1
The reason I like to use overwrite is to use the same layer name, symbology, tags, description, etc., and not have to fill out all of that info each time.

Trying to overwrite an existing service with 2660 features. I've changed the parameter to 3000 records. ArcMap > Share As > Service indicates successful publishing. When I try to open the features in ArcGIS Online, I get 0 features drawn, and 0 records in the Show Table. If I open the layer from MyHostedServices in ArcMap, the layer loads into the TOC, but there are 0 records.

Am I doing something wrong in the overwriting? Is it possible overwriting just doesn't work a lot of the time? Does it have anything to do with re-using the same name?

I can open a new ArcMap session, bring in same the layer again, create a new service (new name, new tags, new parameters, description etc) and it publishes all 2660 features successfully.

So, why doesn't this work using "overwrite"?

Tried it also by saving a .SD file and Updating the existing service with the new SD.  Again, I get a successful publishing message, but when loading the features into AGOL, I get 0 features.
0 Kudos
JordanRogers
New Contributor III

I had the exact same issue at 10.2.2 yesterday.

Publish hosted feature service.  Make a change to the mxd, then choose overwrite an existing service.  Go back to the AGOL map and "map service is inaccessible or does not exist".

I tried to replicate the problem today and it worked...

0 Kudos
SusanMoore
New Contributor III

Yes, I'm still having this issue as well in 10.2.2. However, if I receive the "map service is inaccessible or does not exist" error and wait before trying to access it again, it will eventually work.

I haven't been able to pin down a guaranteed "wait" time. Sometimes it works immediately, and sometimes I get frustrated, leave for lunch, come back and viola, it's working.

0 Kudos

DT 10.2.2

I successfully overwrote several hosted services which are not in the root folder yesterday, but today keep getting "error: code 400 item does not exist in this folder, bad syntax in request."  The message then invites me to look at the server logs...

Any Esri folks out there available for comment?

0 Kudos
JaromHlebasko
Susan Moore wrote:
Other times earlier this week, I would try to republish, and after I selected the Continue button on the Overwrite an Existing Service and answered "Yes" to continue, nothing would happen. I would just be returned to my MXD. Again, if I tried it over and over, it would eventually work. 

I have ArcGIS for Desktop 10.3 running and I'm experiencing exactly what is posted above by Susan. I follow the easy steps to share a service by going to File>>Share As>>Service and then select the option Overwrite an existing service in the Share as Service dialog box. I then click Next and choose the service I want to overwrite and then click Continue. A Warning Message pops up (below) asking me to continue with the overwrite so I click Yes and NOTHING HAPPENS. It boots me out to my ArcMap session. I keep trying and trying and I get nothing. Any suggestions?

Warning Message.PNG

0 Kudos
NiekGoorman1
Occasional Contributor

I have the exact same issue in ArcGIS Desktop 10.2.2. The hosted feature layer in question is owned by me (Publisher), is in my root folder, and only contains a few dozen features. Setting the layer to editable or not makes no difference.

0 Kudos