Is there a way to export a symbol icon from ArcGIS Pro or ArcMap as a .PNG or similar format so it can be used in ArcGIS Online?

07-16-2019 08:27 AM
SaraMoulton1
New Contributor II

I created several point symbols from character marker symbols and have saved them in a .style file and also a .stylex file.  I am able to use these symbols in ArcMap and ArcPro.  I would like to use these symbols in Online maps.  It looks like the only way I can do it is to upload them as images and assign the symbol through the "Use an Image" option.

Is there a way to upload the .style(x) file for use in Online or to export the symbols to an image format from ArcMap/ArcPro?

6 Replies
DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Sara,

Please take a look at this doc,

Add Custom Symbol to ArcGIS Online Web Map quick guide

Hope this helps,

0 Kudos
SaraMoulton1
New Contributor II

Thank you for responding and for the link to the quick guide.  Unfortunately, my situation is more complicated than the quick guide addresses.  Please see the attached PDF for more background.  In summary, I can't assign the symbology to the feature layer as suggested on page 5 of the quick guide because of needing to use a 3-level hierarchy for the feature layer which ArcGIS Online doesn't seem to support, and I can't "Paste in the Image URL" as suggested on page 4 of the quick guide because I can't see how to export the original ArcMap/ArcPro symbols to an image format (which brings me back to my original post).

0 Kudos
DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Sara,

> Is there a way to upload the .style(x) file for use in Online

Unfortunately, this is currently not a supported workflow.

Please vote for these enhancements on the ArcGIS Ideas forum:

Have the same symbology across ArcGIS Pro, ArcMap, Portal for ArcGIS, and ArcGIS online. 

https://community.esri.com/ideas/12725 

I realize this does not address your issue, but I hope this helps,

SaraMoulton1
New Contributor II

Thank you for looking into my question. Your information is helpful in that I’ll move on to another approach and won’t spend more time trying to find a function in the software that isn’t there. Also, thanks for the voting links.

Sara

ahargreaves_FW
Occasional Contributor III

I sometimes do this:

1. In Pro I add a layer from Portal/AGOL into a new map (doesn't have to be the layer I ultimately want to symbolize in my webmap, just any layer)
  2. Symbolise that layer along the same lines you want  your end result to look eg: Symbolize by Unique Values and set the styles etc
  3. Publish as a web map called 'Symbolizer Web Map'
  4. In Portal/AGOL create the real webmap with the real layer you want. Set it's symbology to be what you need it eg: Display by Unique Values but just leave the generic styling.
  5. Use the AGOL assistant to open 'Symbolizer Web map' and hunt out the JSON for your desired styling.
  6. Open a second AGOL assistant and open your real webmap and hunt out the JSON for your generic styling. 
  7. Replace the "symbol" node and save.
0 Kudos