Is there a way to create a multilayer cache map image layer in ArcGIS Pro that is shared with the Portal 10.4.1?

02-02-2018 09:56 AM
StevenE
New Contributor III

I am needing to cache multiple map image layers, IE Water Distribution map image layer with 3 feature layers (Main Lines, Hydrants, and Valves, in order to display them in a web map/app in Portal. It seems as though the options are to either share as a web map/web layer and cache the layers, and in turn not have the ability to turn feature layers on/off. Or, share the web map/web layer & map image layer where the data is drawn dynamically from the server and thus making one's map lag and unresponsive. 

Everything I am finding on multilayer caches is using an older version of ArcMap. Am I missing something? Should I publish the layers as something else? What is the best strategy for having layers like this on a general reference type web map where every feature layer can be turned on or off, and a majority of the data is cached to allow for smooth operation?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Steven,

Cached services should be used for relatively static data, i.e. aerial photography.  A cached service does not allow for you to turn off the individual layers.  If your mains, hydrants, and valves are not updated frequently you could create a cache of each individual layer.  You can then toggle off the individual cache service.

Another way to have a quick, response, smooth user experience is to enable scale dependencies on the layers.  When you create a  dynamic service, these will be honored and the features will not draw until you zoomed into a large scale.

If you need to see the layers zoomed out at smaller scales, you could also have a mix.  For example, create a cache service of the three layers to a certain scale (i.e. 1:36,000).  Then create a dynamic service that draws when zoomed in pass the 1:36,000 scale.

0 Kudos