Is there a way to copy or clone a Web Map on the 'My Content' screen?

10-18-2016 02:27 PM
GradyMorrison1
New Contributor

We have a Web Map and web mapping application that we replicate every quarter with updated data sets. The web map has 850 layers in it (all point layers), so it takes a long time to go in and configure all the settings for each layer in the web map. Going through this process every quarter to replicate the web map using the new data that represents that quarter is time consuming. Is there a way that we can copy or clone an existing quarter's web map so that it retains the configuration settings, and then point the data source to the new quarter?

Thank you.  

0 Kudos
9 Replies
LesiMai3
Occasional Contributor

Hi Grady,

Is it necessary for you to keep the old web maps? If not, maybe you can look into ArcGIS Online Assistant to point the data source to the updated layers on the server.

Lesi

GradyMorrison1
New Contributor

That's a great option if we could just over-write one of the existing maps, but unfortunately we need to keep each quarter's map. Thanks for the suggestion. 

0 Kudos
MichaelMiller2
Occasional Contributor III

You should be able to copy the web map and then use the ArcGIS Online Assistant to update the urls for the data layers to the services of the new quarter.

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

How do you copy a Web Map?  I am not finding that ability in AGOL.

0 Kudos
B_mitch95
New Contributor

One way to copy a web map is to open it in Map Viewer and use the "save as" process to save a copy with a different name. 

CherylCwelich
New Contributor II

Using B_mitch95's method to copy a web map does work, but all points/polygons/lines in the new map will still have the same ObjectID as their counterparts in the original map you copied from; with both maps having the same ObjectID for the same feature, if you change one of the data fields for a point in the new map, the same point in the original map will have that data field changed to the new value you entered. E.g., if you change "date of collection" for a point in the new map to today's date, then go back to the original map you copied from, that point will now show today's date, rather than the original value entered in the past.
How can you copy a web map such that it's your own copy to mess around with? E.g., I'm trying to make a copy of a web map so that I can go in and try to teach myself some new tools that I'll eventually integrate into the original, but I can't risk messing anything up in the original before I figure out the workflow.

In the past I found a way to copy/import layers one at a time while removing the ObjectIDs, but I'm looking for a quicker way, as my map has many layers (i.e., duplicate and divorce the whole map including all feature layers all at the same time). Is this possible?

KyleTobias1
New Contributor II

Did you find a solution to this?

CherylCwelich
New Contributor II

Yes! You can do it two ways. For both, navigate through Content to get to the details page of the desired layer. From there:

1) Overview > Export Data > Export to CSV or Excel. Manually delete the ObjectID column and GlobalID column. Save this file under a new name in your desktop/downloads/wherever local folder. Reupload as a new item to your Content.

2) Overview > Export Data > Export to Feature Collection. See this page for Esri's documentation.

Note that if you have photos/media attached to the original layer (for items collected in FieldMaps, say), neither of these methods will transfer over your attachments. If anyone has a way to retain photo media when creating independent duplicate layers, please advise!

0 Kudos
JorgeIzarTenorio
New Contributor

Is there a way to do this, but for a Web Map? (I don't see the option to Export Data for a Web Map layer, for instance)

0 Kudos