Is it possible to move a point's location in ArcGIS online (AGOL)?

Jump to solution
06-18-2020 05:13 PM
adamwade1
New Contributor III

I've seen a couple videos on youtube that indicate it's not possible. I've used AGOL to edit ine and polygon geometry, primarily in collector. However, I've never tried to move a point's location in AGOL. After uploaded a point file into a Group project in AGOL I noticed a few points were slightly mislocated, probably due to GPS error in the field. When I click on the point I can edit it's attributes, but I'm unable to move the point. 

Cheers!

-Adam 

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ChristianWells
Esri Regular Contributor

It's possible in the new Map Viewer (BETA) to update a single point feature. Here is how I accomplished the task:

1. Go to Content and find Feature Layer.
  2. Click the ellipses (...) on the Feature Layer and select "Open in Map Viewer (BETA)."
  3. On the right-hand side of the Map Viewer, select "Edit."
  4. In the Editor pop-up, select "Edit Feature."
  5. Select the feature you want to move.
  6. Click and drag the point to the new location.

FYI Peter Klingman

View solution in original post

5 Replies
ChristianWells
Esri Regular Contributor

It's possible in the new Map Viewer (BETA) to update a single point feature. Here is how I accomplished the task:

1. Go to Content and find Feature Layer.
  2. Click the ellipses (...) on the Feature Layer and select "Open in Map Viewer (BETA)."
  3. On the right-hand side of the Map Viewer, select "Edit."
  4. In the Editor pop-up, select "Edit Feature."
  5. Select the feature you want to move.
  6. Click and drag the point to the new location.

FYI Peter Klingman

ChristianWells
Esri Regular Contributor

Check out more of what the Map Viewer Beta can do here, connect with others, and provide feedback on the experience:
ArcGIS Online Map Viewer Beta

adamwade1
New Contributor III

Thanks Christian! After updating the point's location it appears as if there are two points with the same attributes. However, refreshing the screen I see only the modified point is saved within the map and feature service. 

I'll have a read through Beta article you shared. 

Cheers!

-Adam 

ChristianWells
Esri Regular Contributor

Great! I'm glad this worked out for you.

-Christian

0 Kudos
cpbride2020
New Contributor III

Is it possible to select the point by the attribute table and then move it? I have about 1,000 points that I created, one for each record. They all have the same lat/lon so they are on top of each other. My task is to geo-locate each one based on hints in the attribute table (district, village, geographic feature). When I select a record in the table, the point pile is highlighted, but it will not allow me to edit its location the way it does in ArcGIS Pro. My client does not have ArcGIS but wants to do the editing himself.

0 Kudos