Select to view content in your preferred language

Is it possible to apply different symbology types to different map scales?

a month ago
Labels (2)
NiColahh
New Contributor III

This may not be feasible but I'm wondering if it's possible to apply different symbology types to a layer at different zoom scales (e.g. single symbol when zoomed out and unique values when zoomed in)? For example, I'd like to show different transportation systems (lines) by color when zoomed out, and break down the colors of bus systems by route when zoomed in. Is it feasible via Arcade or otherwise? Ultimately, we would like to publish a web map in ArcGIS Online. 

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Lee_Butler
New Contributor III

A simple solution would be to create multiple copies of the transportation layer in your web map each symbolised differently and set to display at different scales. This way one layer would disappear as you zoom in but a copy of the layer, symbolised differently would appear in its place.

NiColahh
New Contributor III

I think this sounds like the best option and should work. Thank you, @Lee_Butler.

jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

There is the $map_scale global variable that you can access in the symbology Arcade editor, but it's not going to give you a nice consistent output like you want. I think @Lee_Butler 's suggestion is the way to go.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
NiColahh
New Contributor III

@jcarlson, that's helpful to know--thank you keeping me from going down a rabbit trail.

0 Kudos
Georgios-NektariosTselos
New Contributor III

Hi @NiColahh ,  one potential solution to your issue could be the creation of domains. You may create several domains and then manage your data and categorize them using the attribute table. Subsequently, you can choose different symbols for each domain from the symbology settings.

Please find a helpful link for 'Create and manage domains' https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/help/data/geodatabases/overview/create-modify-and-delete-do... . I believe this resource will assist you in addressing your needs.

Best regards 

Georgios-Nektarios Tselos

NiColahh
New Contributor III

Thanks, @Georgios-NektariosTselos. I was thinking that domains may be more than necessary for this, but I may rethink that if I hit a wall with the solution that I'm going with. I appreciate your input and link.

MarkBockenhauer
Esri Regular Contributor

I think what you are after, is Alternate Symbol support in ArcGIS Online, it would be good to enter an Idea similar to this one  Support for alternate scale-based symbols in ArcGI... - Esri Community  specific to webmaps and the MapViewer.

0 Kudos