Is it possibile to increase quality / resolution of ArcGIS cached / dynamic Map Services?

11-28-2017 02:18 AM
MarcoLucafo_
New Contributor III

Maybe this question is too generic, but it is something that has been bugging me since I started working with web mapping. The output of ArcGIS Map Services, whether dynamic or cached, is consistently worse compared to what you see on the 'authoring' side (ArcMap and especially ArcGIS Pro).

I am already using all the best practices such as setting antialiasing to best/force and PNG32 as format, but the result is always blurrier than expected, to the point that (small) labels that are perfectly visible on the map/project, when cached or displayed with a service are almost un-readable.

While I am sure that this has something to do with the rendering engine and its limitations, I also feel that we might see some improvements if we could change the default DPI value which is 96, when quality is paramount over bandwidth/size. The thing is that I cannot find a reliable workflow or even a setting anywhere to serve high resolution services when needed. I managed to create a 192 dpi tile package by setting scales manually, only to find out that when displayed/published tiles from a given level are displayed at the wrong scale (e.g L05 at L06), which makes the extra-resolution completely useless.

Does anyone have an idea on how to tackle this problem or successfully managed to create high DPI cached / dynamic services (beside using vector tiles) or we are effectively stuck with a "blurry standard"?

0 Replies