Information Lookup template, Search tab, Suggestion Template

Jump to solution
03-10-2017 12:43 PM
HilaryCampbell
New Contributor III

I'm working on a simple Info Lookup template app in which the user can enter a civic number and suggestions are returned to allow the user to select the address they want.  Once an address is selected, the display zooms to the location and a popup from another layer is displayed. I am using an open data source, and rather than using a true geocoder (which pulls information from multiple datasets) to allow the user to find a specific location, I only want the user to get results from the single data source, Civic Addresses.  The ability to do that is part of the functionality of the Search tab in this template, which is great, but it is not usable for my purposes based on the default settings.  The user must be able to see multiple values in the list of suggestions when entering a civic value.  I cannot figure out the syntax for displaying values from more than one field in the Suggestion Template, as shown in the graphic below, and I've not been able to find any reference for this.  The dataset I'm using is https://services2.arcgis.com/11XBiaBYA9Ep0yNJ/arcgis/rest/services/CivicAddresses/FeatureServer/0 and the fields I want to display in the suggestions are: FULL_CIVIC, Street Name, Street Type, Community Name.  Any suggestions would be much appreciated!  

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
HilaryCampbell
New Contributor III

The Query widget is only available through the Web App Builder... my original question was whether a search in the Search tab of the Information Lookup template has that option.  By your response, I gather the answer is no.  But thanks again for your help - much appreciated!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
HilaryCampbell
New Contributor III

OK, we've answered the question in-house:  putting commas between string values allows the values to show up in the suggestion list:

CIVIC:  ${FULL_CIVIC}, ${STR_NAME}, ${STR_TYPE}

That's helpful, but it also revealed that this search tool cannot be used to search on values from more than one field.  Entering "2" in the search returns every civic number with the digit "2" in the FULL_CIVIC value, and there is no way to allow the user to add the street name to the query to further restrict the selection.  In short, what we take for granted in Desktop cannot be done here:  an attribute query using more than one field.  I guess we're back to creating a geocoder... unless someone has any suggestions on how to make this work.  Feedback welcome!

0 Kudos
KellyGerrow
Esri Frequent Contributor

Hi Hilary,

Check out this blog about setting up multi-field searches and suggestions:

ArcGIS Online Search Widget Enhancements July 2015 | ArcGIS Blog 

Hit the ctrl key for multiple field selections.

-KElly

0 Kudos
HilaryCampbell
New Contributor III

Thank you for your feedback!  That does get me started in the right direction.  But I'd like to take it one step further if possible.  The blog post indicates that a value from any selected field can be entered in the search tool - but only one value.  Is there a way to configure the search tool to allow the user to look for a feature which contains two or more values they identify, from different fields?  In an ArcMap query, it would look like this:

FULL_CIVIC = 2 AND STR_NAME = 'MAIN' AND STR_TYPE = 'AVE'

Again, I'm not looking for a full geocoder here - just an attribute query.  Any ideas?

0 Kudos
KellyGerrow
Esri Frequent Contributor

Try the query widget in Web AppBuilder: Query widget—Web AppBuilder for ArcGIS | ArcGIS 

0 Kudos
HilaryCampbell
New Contributor III

The Query widget is only available through the Web App Builder... my original question was whether a search in the Search tab of the Information Lookup template has that option.  By your response, I gather the answer is no.  But thanks again for your help - much appreciated!

0 Kudos