Select to view content in your preferred language

In ArcGIS Online, what is the maximum number of custom roles allowed for an Organization?

Jump to solution
01-17-2018 02:23 PM
James_Whitacre
Occasional Contributor

In ArcGIS Online, what is the maximum number of custom roles allowed for an Organization?

I ask because I work in higher ed and many instructors are creating custom roles for their classes, which I don't think is good practice. Therefore, I would like to tell them there is an upper limit as one incentive to stop this practice (I use other incentives too...). Currently we have over a dozen custom roles and they are growing.

I do not intend for this space to become a discussion about proper and improper uses of custom roles. Thank you.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
KellyGerrow
Esri Frequent Contributor

There isn't a technical limit for the amount of custom roles you can create currently, but there is a practical limit. Ideally, each custom role should contain different privileges so administrators are aware of the capabilities that are possible for each user. If too many are created, it becomes inefficient to understand which role does what, and which users have similar roles.

-Kelly

View solution in original post

4 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

N - Administrators ( http://doc.arcgis.com/en/arcgis-online/reference/roles.htm )

KGerrow-esristaff‌ can you confirm or correct conjecture

0 Kudos
KellyGerrow

There isn't a technical limit for the amount of custom roles you can create currently, but there is a practical limit. Ideally, each custom role should contain different privileges so administrators are aware of the capabilities that are possible for each user. If too many are created, it becomes inefficient to understand which role does what, and which users have similar roles.

-Kelly

James_Whitacre
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Kelly for clarifying this. I was hoping for a limit just so I could add more support to my argument...but I can live with this! But as you indicate, there is inefficiency in creating duplicated roles. My users them for some class-management purposes that I argue are better or just as well suited by using Groups. They don't seem to buy it.

0 Kudos
KellyGerrow

Hey James,

I tried to come up with a best practice for the number of roles but it will really depend on your organization size, number of members and different required privileges. I'd say no more than 50, but realistically I wouldn't want to manage more than 20 max. What you mention about using roles for class management is peaking my interest. We don't recommend using roles to organize users, but are working on some projects to better manage groups of users. If you or your colleagues would like to chat about the issue you are running into, I'd like to hear your feedback.

-Kelly

0 Kudos