Importing severe weather into arcgis online

02-04-2020 01:55 PM
DanielVaughan
New Contributor II

How would one go about importing the severe weather layers into arcgis online such as the ones listed on this site?

Severe Weather Information Centre 2.0 

I am in need of severe weather layers in other countries outside of the US. Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks!

0 Kudos
4 Replies
BenTurrell
Occasional Contributor III

Hey Daniel Vaughan

I had a quick look at the web app you linked to. I used the developer tools (F12) in my web browser and the network tab of the developers tools to find out where it was getting its data from. I then found this link:

https://severeweather.wmo.int/v2/json/all.json?20200205090805 

This appears to contain all the data that you need.

Let me know if you need anymore help!

Thanks,

Ben

If this answer has helpful please mark it as helpful. If this answer solved your question please mark it as the answer to help others who have the same question.

DanielVaughan
New Contributor II

Thanks for responding so quickly! I tried importing the link into arcgis online through "add layer from web" but was unable to. Would this need to be done through pro deskstop software?

0 Kudos
BenTurrell
Occasional Contributor III

Daniel Vaughan‌,

Since its json you will need to convert it to a different format. If your familiar with python you could write a script otherwise something like data interop or FME will make very quick work of the conversion.

Let me know if you need help with FME or Data Interoperability.

Thanks,

Ben

If this answer has helpful please mark it as helpful. If this answer solved your question please mark it as the answer to help others who have the same question.

DanielVaughan
New Contributor II

That would be fantastic. I dont have any experience with FME or Data Interoperability. I'm also only running Arcgis Online and desktop software I'm using QGIS. Not familiar with Python and work PC's are blocked from using it. 

0 Kudos