If I disable a user does it still count towards my user quota?

Jump to solution
09-06-2017 02:01 PM
JenniferMinnick
Occasional Contributor

So if I have 50 Level 1 users...

If I have assigned all of them and then disable one can I then make a new one?

Would my list of users appear to be 51 with 50 active and 1 disabled?

Must I delete or can I disable?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

A disabled member will still count towards the total number of users in the organization. The following is from the documentation:

"Disabling a member prevents the member from consuming organizational resources. This can be useful while you move their items to a different member. Disabled members cannot sign in to the organization, consume organizational resources, create content, or administer the site. They are still members and count toward the number of users in your organization. Disabled accounts are automatically disabled for Esri access."

Manage members—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS 

View solution in original post

6 Replies
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

When I disabled one, it did not lower the number of named users for me...but I did not try adding a new one.

If you are needing to remove a user to put another in their place, the ArcGIS API for Python has some sample scripts that will let you move all their content to another user with a structure like \<oldusername>\<their_Item_structure_and_items>  and then optionally remove/delete the user.

I have succesfully used this for user that are no longer in our org, putting them in a "tempHold" user until I can sort out who to assign it.  For me, that take a slot for the "tempHold" (but you could assign to you instead) but does free up a spot.  Not idea, but works much better than dong it manually. 

Make sure to test this process first if you go this route.

ArcGIS API for Python 

ArcGIS API for Python | ArcGIS for Developers 

move_existing_user_content_to_a_new_user | ArcGIS for Developers    Sample

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

A disabled member will still count towards the total number of users in the organization. The following is from the documentation:

"Disabling a member prevents the member from consuming organizational resources. This can be useful while you move their items to a different member. Disabled members cannot sign in to the organization, consume organizational resources, create content, or administer the site. They are still members and count toward the number of users in your organization. Disabled accounts are automatically disabled for Esri access."

Manage members—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS 

JenniferMinnick
Occasional Contributor

Katie -

Thank you.

I wish this weren't the case.  We want to use Level 1 for clients we are sharing maps with to keep them secure.  But over time they will not need access to a particular project.  However, we often have clients start another project with us.

So under the existing set-up we would go through all the work to set up a Level 1 user and assign them to a group that has only their products it in, share the login for some period of time.  Then if we needed the level 1 slot we would have to remember what groups they are assigned to (they are only viewers so there will be not content from them.  Then we delete them.  If we need them again, we create another user, try to remember the groups they were originally assigned to and start the process over.    

We have upwards of 500 different clients a year (actually a couple thousand over a few years) and it's not cost effective to pay $150K/year to just keep these around.   But the administration process if we don't is daunting and error prone.

MarcGraham2
Occasional Contributor III

This should be reviewed and the behaviour changed.  If a user is disabled then their named user license should be released and made available for another organisation member.  

One primary reason for this are the unique ArcGIS Online member names.  If I create a user in ArcGIS Online but then have to delete that user and replace it with another, in the meantime someone could steal my first users username.  If I then need to reinstate their user they will have to have a different username which is not a good experience.

TonyAbbott
New Contributor

I agree that it would be more convinient if this behavior were changed. I have students that learn GIS, often times in year one, but then who disengage from the program for a year or two until they get into an advanced class that requires it again. I typically will need that license they are occupying, but not using, to teach other students.I assume things are organized this way to avoid storing content abandoned by undeleted but inactive accounts...

JohnMcGlynn
Occasional Contributor

I doubt if ESRI will change this. Do they want users chopping and changing licences or keeping disabled ones which will require more 😁 licences? 

0 Kudos