Ideas for Point Feature Time Series Animation in the web?

02-01-2019 10:38 AM
Arne_Gelfert
Occasional Contributor III

Hey folks, Lend me a hand.

I don't need a code review or help troubleshooting. But I could use some guidance for coming up with a solution.

Background:

I have a large dataset of simple POINT features. These are locations (~40K) of objects (~2K) that are stationary for a number of days (20-50), i.e they have the same XY during that range of dates. Then they move to a new location (XY). I have keys for each location that's associated with those XY and said dates, and then ID's and other attributes for the objects that move from location to location.

Objective:

What I'd love to put together is an animated map that allows you to observe the "path" an object takes over time moving from Loc 1 to Loc 2, 3 , 4.. This could be either for a single object that you select (dropdown?) or a group of objects. Hope this make sense?

So for starters, I've normalized things taking a rather wide attribute table and creating a sort of location history table. A simple point feature class with only Location Key, Date, and XY. I can join this to other tables where I have offloaded the rest of the attributes.

I'm thinking this is probably a case for building a webmap using the JSAPI. Can anyone point me to any similar examples or throw out some suggestions? Right now the data sits in an SDE feature class but I can certainly publish it as a feature service.

Any feedback ls welcome. (Categorized this is as discussion because of lack of specificity of what I'm asking. My apologies if that's not standard etiquette.)

0 Kudos
0 Replies