I'm confused about sharing privileges

02-15-2022 06:16 AM
sr_guy
by
New Contributor III

I have uploaded to my arcgis account, and heavily edited this shapefile Electric Retail Service Territories

I have edited it by changing every link in the database to point to a power company outage map. It is being used by my whole dept to lookup a power company outages using a Arcgis Web App that I also created to quickly determine a power outage.

There is at least 60+ in my dept using it. Because of that, I shared the map and web app as "public". My goal, is to have myself, and just a small handful people access to the map shapefile to be able to edit any data in the map database in case there are any errors (like wrong map links).

However, if I am looking at this correctly, if I enable editing, the whole arcgis world would have access to editing unless I share the map/app with only "my organization". If that is the case, and I disabled public access, I would need to add all those 60+ people to my "organization" and they would all need to individually create an arcgis account to access the map and web app, correct?

sr_guy_0-1644934442913.png

0 Kudos
1 Reply
DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi @sr_guy,

> ...  if I enable editing, the whole arcgis world would have access to editing unless I share the map/app with only "my organization". If that is the case, and I disabled public access, I would need to add all those 60+ people to my "organization" and they would all need to individually create an arcgis account to access the map and web app, correct?

Yes, your statements above are correct.

To workaround this, I suggest you use a feature layer view in your public app. Share the feature layer view as "public", but only share your original feature layer to the select folks in your organization who will make edits.

Create hosted feature layer views

Hope this helps,