I can't seem to configure my popup for a certain layer

Jump to solution
11-02-2016 09:16 AM
JoshWhite
Regular Contributor III

I can't seem to configure a popup in ArcGIS Online.  I have enabled and disabled multiple times and even removed the layer and readded it.  I click on Configure Popup and nothing happens.  What is going on with this?  

Josh White, AICP
Principal Planner

City of Arkansas City
Tags (2)
19 Replies
JoshWhite
Regular Contributor III

Ultimately, this had to do with a specific feature class that had somehow become corrupted.  I exported it out to a file geodatabase and then imported it back into my SDE.  Here is the solution write up by Support:

Issue was due to a specific feature class. Able to configure pop-ups after exporting this feature class out to a new feature class and then publishing.

Josh White, AICP
Principal Planner

City of Arkansas City
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thank you!

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Josh,

I had a similar issue recently and resolved it my resetting the field order of the attributes in the feature layer in my original MXD and then publishing the service again, see link below for more details...

https://community.esri.com/thread/182363-why-cant-i-continue-configuring-the-pop-ups-on-my-agol-map 

Dave

0 Kudos
JoshWhite
Regular Contributor III

David,

I will try to remember this tidbit if it happens to me again.  I read through your thread too, almost identical issue to mine.  Oddly, even though multiple people are reporting this, Esri didn't seem to know what was causing this issue.  In my case, this wasn't the first time I had had the issue with the particular feature class I was working with.  What was most frustrating for me was that it didn't throw an error of any kind and nothing showed up in the logs, it just didn't work and the only way to show the problem was screensharing or a video like bokeefe posted.

Josh White, AICP
Principal Planner

City of Arkansas City
0 Kudos
JenniferWoodward2
New Contributor II

I have been having this issue frequently lately.  It happens every time we change the layer order in an MXD that is being used in an arcgis online map.  It is a pain to have to completely delete and republish and re add everything to the web map and it still doesn't clear reliably.  It feels an awful lot to me like the issue that used to exist in the flex viewer where the layers and attributes in the layers had a number assigned to each attribute class and adding anything to the webmap would throw the numbering into chaos.  I say this because we have noticed that sometimes if we do not republish it pulls the attribute data from the wrong layer when you click on a feature.  It should not be breaking every time you add a new attribute or layer to an mxd that is being used in an online service.  I think this is a software bug.

0 Kudos
JoshWhite
Regular Contributor III

Its definitely a bug and Esri wont do anything about it.  I'm guessing its because in Pro this supposedly doesn't happen.  I wont switch to Pro because there are too many missing features still AND it has a learning curve.  

Josh White, AICP
Principal Planner

City of Arkansas City
0 Kudos
NaomiBegg
Occasional Contributor

I'm getting what appears to be this same bug in Pro.

0 Kudos
JoshWhite
Regular Contributor III

Sorry to hear that.  I have now switched totally over to Pro.  Funny how much things change over the years.  I don't think I'll have this issue anymore because I no longer use SDE but ArcGIS Online hosted feature layers instead.  

Josh White, AICP
Principal Planner

City of Arkansas City
0 Kudos
JenniferWoodward2
New Contributor II

I actually found another forum that seems to have a working solution for this that does not require recreating your features.  It appears that this bug is caused by adding new fields to a feature.  If there are any fields after the default esri fields ArcGIS online will not behave properly.  After I went into my MXD and reordered the fields so all esri fields are the last to appear in the field  order and republished the ability to configure the pop-up was restored.  I did notice that if I was configuring the popups for my web map and I hit upon a broken layer I could no longer configure popups for any other layers until I closed out of the web map and reopened it so save often.  Still not the ideal situation but much easier than rebuilding features entirely.

CynthiaParker1
New Contributor III

Thank you! This is exactly what fixed my situation.