I am trying to show labels for overlapping features in a single feature class in ArcGIS Online and am not having any luck.

10-21-2019 01:59 AM
PersefoniKapotas
New Contributor III

I have a point layer, in which sometimes there are multiple points in one location (they are stacked one on top of the other).  I have labels set up for the 'project number' field.  In ArcGIS Pro, the labels for each point show up surrounding the point(s), but when I share to AGOL only one of the labels show.  Ideally, I would like for all labels to appear.  How can I do this?  Any ideas?

5 Replies
TylerBurns
New Contributor III

Hello Persefoni, 

This is unfortunately a limitation of the labeling engine in ArcGIS Online. ArcGIS Pro has access to the maplex labeling engine, which is capable of more placement analysis & generating labels with more complicated feature clustering.

Please see the following quote from our documentation on labeling considerations in ArcGIS Online:

"Map Viewer places as many labels on the map as possible without overlapping them. Thus, in areas where features are tightly clustered, some features may not get labeled."

Create labels—ArcGIS Online Help | Documentation 

Labeling closely-clustered points will unfortunately not be possible within a webmap due to this limitation. There isn't exactly a data-based workaround for this either, as even if you were to break up the points into multiple layers, there is a chance the webmap viewer would only still label the 'top' layer or point if they are as closely clustered as you describe.

As a workaround, I would suggest creating a 'Map Notes' layer in your webmap. This will allow you to manually add text boxes to create additional labels, which work similar to annotations in ArcGIS Pro. Check out the below documentation for further information on working with Map Notes! 

Work with Map Notes:

Map notes—Portal for ArcGIS | ArcGIS Enterprise 

(Note: This documentation is for Portal, however the knowledge still applies the same to the AGOL environment.)

I hope this information helps!

-TB

SimonSchütte_ct
Occasional Contributor III

Sadly this still seems to be an issue with the new Map Viewer 😞

RobertAnderson3
MVP Regular Contributor

I was just thinking this, I was hoping to find a solution, I'm trying to rebuild the Story Maps Shortlist template in Experience Builder and wanted the numbering as well..

0 Kudos
LayerItOn
New Contributor III

Anyone found a solution to this yet? Having the same experience. Need all the names to be visible for Field Maps

NicholasBudros
New Contributor

I have split my main layer into sub-layers to try and fit more labels, and using offsets, they still won't force drawing. It is frustrating. I also cannot label the edge as its center only

0 Kudos