hyperlinks in ArcGIS online to outside content?

11-07-2011 04:07 PM
AndrewTaylor
New Contributor II
Hi,
What I want to is have points on the map representing objects with thumbnail images included in the info, and then have a hyperlink from the item info going to a larger image stored on my schools password-protected database in a separate browser window or tab.  The full-sized images would be 800pxls on the longside each. each, and there might be 300 or so in all.

Can can outside links be accessed from an ArcGIS Online map, and if not, why not?

Thanks,

Andrew Taylor,
Rice University
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
Yes, you can configure a popup window that displays when the point is clicked.

http://help.arcgis.com/en/arcgisonline/help/index.html#/Configuring_pop_up_windows/010q0000004m00000...

Thanks,

Mike
0 Kudos
AndrewTaylor
New Contributor II
Hi Mike,
Thanks for your response, but it didn't answer my question.  Pop-up windows are nice, but I asked about including a hyperlink to an outside web page, not whether imagery could be included. 
The "Help" page you indicated does not explain how to do that (as far as I can see).
Regards,
Andrew
0 Kudos
AndrewTaylor
New Contributor II
Hi Mike,
to clarify, I am interested in linking to images that are copyright-sensitive and for that reason I would not post them to ArcGIS Online as full-sized images, only as thumbnails.  People within the Rice University community would be able to access them through our password-protected image database.  In order to conform to ESRI's copyright policy and our own we cannot upload the images to ArcGIS Online. 

Regards, Andrew
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
If you have an attribute field in your data that provides a URL, the URL will display as a hyperlink in the popup window. Clicking the link will open the URL in a new browser tab/window.

If you wanted to display a thumbnail of your image in the popup, it would need to be hosted on the web already. ArcGIS Online doesn't store images. You could then reference the thumbnail image, as described in this post.

http://forums.arcgis.com/threads/42799-Adding-images-from-file-to-pop-ups

Thanks,

Mike
AndrewTaylor
New Contributor II
Fantastic, thanks Mike!  So I guess I'll have to save the thumbnails on the web, and then link to the database through a web link.  Might run into a roadblock with authorization but will have to set up a 1-record/image demo first and see.
Thanks,
Andrew