How to update Vector Tile Layer?

Jump to solution
07-08-2016 11:19 AM
KateNewell1
Occasional Contributor II

I have created a map for vector tiling in ArcGIS Pro using the directions here.

I was able to create a vector tile package quite easily in ArcPro, and upload the Vector Tile Package to ArcGIS Online, which also created the Vector Tile Layer at the time of upload.  It all works great!

I did notice that I had forgotten to label a feature class and wanted to rearrange a few layers.  I made the changes in the ArcPro project, re-ran the "Create Vector Tile Package" in ArcPro and "Updated" the revised Vector Tile Package in ArcGIS Online.  Everything was successful, except I do not see any way to update/re-publish the Vector Tile Layer that was created when I first uploaded the Vector Tile Package in ArcGIS Online.

I don't really want to delete the Vector Tile Package/Vector Tile Layer and re-upload everything, as this will consume additional credits.  Seems like there should be a way to update the Vector Tiles when you update the Vector Package? Am I missing something?

-Kate

21 Replies
deleted-user-8KkqhMYcTNGx
Occasional Contributor

Greetings,

Thank you so much to Kelly Gerrow for writing the Update Tiles from Tile Package Script. I made some modifications to include the automatic update of the Vector Tile Package, and then I utilized the Update Tiles from Tile Package Script to overwrite the Vector Tile Cache Service in ArcGIS Online in one script. I tried to make it easy to implement multiple vector caches, if the user needs to update multiple Vector Caches. The script can be found at Vector Cache Management Please let me know if you have any other questions. Thank you for everything and have a delightful day.

Sincerely,

Joe Guzi

KellyGerrow
Esri Frequent Contributor

Awesome! Thanks Joe,

Check your script to see if the extent component for the updateTiles call is working. I wrote another sample script for vector tiles, and extent and LODs are not required fields.  This won't break anything but isn't needed for Vector Tiles. Check out my vector tile sample here and awesome work putting together this comprehensive workflow!

www.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=e94507f5477b4a2c9ecbd1b198e0fad2

0 Kudos
deleted-user-8KkqhMYcTNGx
Occasional Contributor

Greetings Kelly,

Thank you for the advice regarding the extent and LODs. I hadn't had and issue when I have run the script. I did notice that you had those commented out in the variable section, and it did not break anything even though it is referenced in the functions. Should those calls to those variables be removed from the functions? Thank you for everything and have a delightful day.

Sincerely,

Joe Guzi 

0 Kudos
Col_Forbin
New Contributor III

I am using this script to overwrite a vector tile package and service in ArcGIS Online.  It has worked great up until July 22.

https://www.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=56fccd6ea5e848ffb1674ce0fde2a0df

Now I am seeing this error in the log file.:

SSLError(MaxRetryError('HTTPSConnectionPool(host=\'tiles.arcgis.com\', port=443): Max retries exceeded with url: <url> (Caused by SSLError(SSLError("bad handshake: Error([(\'SSL routines\', \'tls_process_server_certificate\', \'certificate verify failed\')],)",),))',),)

Anyone know what might cause this?

thanks

0 Kudos
Col_Forbin
New Contributor III

This was caused by an issue with the firewall decryption.

0 Kudos
KellyGerrow

Hello,

This isn't available in ArcGIS Enterprise currently.

-Kelly

deleted-user-8TJ6jZDO1Rfr
New Contributor III

Hey Kelly,

Your script has been working well for me over the past few months. Now I'm curious about updating vector tiles in an Enterprise Portal. We are about to update our Portal to 10.6.1. Has there been any change in that functionality? Will I be able to overwrite vector tiles using an Enterprise account anytime soon?

0 Kudos
TaraPreston
New Contributor III

I am also wondering if the ability to update vector tiles in a 10.6.1 or 10.7 Enterprise Portal is possible. If not, do you know if this capability will be added with 10.7.1? Thank you Kelly Gerrow!

0 Kudos
KellyGerrow

This isn't available with ArcGIS Enterprise currently.

0 Kudos
ThomasEdghill
Esri Community Moderator

Posting an update to this thread to let our users know that the latest (October 2019) update to ArcGIS Online has introduced a great new option called Replace Layer, which is a fast and efficient way to update your hosted vector tile layers.

For more information and examples of the workflow, I highly recommend checking out the following blog: Update hosted vector tile layer content using Replace Layer