How to update Symbology on ArcGIS Online, going beyond the limited options offered there?

11-01-2019 08:16 AM
Gustavo_Souza
New Contributor III

I usually build maps on ArcGIS Pro, and upload them on ArcGIS Online. On Pro I can edit the symbology using my styles, and once they are on AGOL, the symbology is pretty much final. This is because the symbology on AGOL is very limited compared to PRO.

One workaround would be to overriding the web layer. It updates the default symbology of the layer, which I can bring it back on the map on AGOL. However, to do that I need to Export the layer to local GDB (losing all domains, which is a big deal), so them I can override (I cant override if Im already using a weblayer). 

I could also use the custom icon option on AGOL, but it only accept images. Maybe if there was a way to export symbols form Pro to images, I could upload them.

I cant override a map. Would be nice if I created a map on Pro, and just chose to override it, so it would update the symbology. 

In the end, my question would be if there is any tricks to work with symbology on ArcGIS Online. Anyway ideas on how to update them based on a Pro map, or copying the symbology from another AGOL Layer. In the end looks like that I have to redo entire maps, surveys, and apps just because I want to update the symbology.

3 Replies
DouglasCochran
Occasional Contributor II

Hi,

RE: "Going beyond limited options with symbology" in ArcGIS Online.

We are looking at some improvements and enhancements to symbology with our up and coming new Map Viewer.  Here is more info on how you can take a look at our Map Viewer beta later this month:

Map Viewer Beta: Coming Soon 

NicolasRoger
Occasional Contributor

In the end looks like that I have to redo entire maps, surveys, and apps just because I want to update the symbology.

I have the exact same problem. I have to update my WAB app everytime I change the symbology of one of the webmap used by the app because the webmaps MUST be published under a new ID. This can become unmanageable fast.

SMSCGeospatial
New Contributor

I also have this issue. Creating seamless editing for updating web apps is a huge hurdle still. Also the symbology on ArcOnline is quite limited still, especially when it comes to basic polygon features. Outlines or solid fills is all you get. No hatched or textured styles are available. This is a real bummer. Sometimes if we publish a map out of ArcPro these more complex symbologies stick in ArcOnline, but if you need to update any symbology on the map we are forced to completely rebuild the map and republish it which means that I have to delete the old versions and reattach all my linked web applications. 

The new beta map viewer (although neat in a lot of ways) does not really seem to improve on the symbology limitations much from what I can see. This seems like it should be a pretty straight forward process to including more ArcGIS styles to the symbology list. The visualization aspect of web based cartography is what really catches peoples attention and brings your map to life. If these maps all look identical because of the extremely limited symbology then that is not ideal. I hope ESRI is sincerely working on improving this aspect in the near future. It is a huge limitation to managing web applications and web maps that require frequent editing.