How to sync a hosted feature layer from ArcMap?

Jump to solution
05-13-2016 03:17 PM
MatthewBaker2
Occasional Contributor II

I'm trying to set up a process to keep hosted feature layers in sync from a FGDB.

I've been going through various documentation, such as this article:

Manage hosted web layers—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS

...but it leaves me at:

It was published from a client other than the ArcGIS Online website. If you published the hosted feature layer from ArcMap, overwrite the service from ArcMap.

So how do you overwrite the service from ArcMap?

I'd like to make the service name remains the same, as it will be in use from a javascript application.

So far I can use the 'upload service definition' tool in ArcGIS Desktop, but I don't see anywhere an option to sync or update the data in a service from an ArcMap tool.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
11 Replies
MatthewBaker2
Occasional Contributor II

I've now set up to publish from a FGDB to a new AGOL service, and while it takes ~4min to successfully upload the data, the 'creating service' icon hangs and hangs and hangs on the arcgis.com side of things.

Trying to T&L the data always throws a fit about something, but I'll give it a few more shots before I contact support, etc...

Thanks, Bruce!

0 Kudos
BruceHarold
Esri Regular Contributor

"T&L"?  Services can take hours to publish.  If you took a look at my tool you'll notice it lets you set the projection and maxRecordCount for the service.  If you care about projection properties in your client app do control that.  maxRecordCount affects pagination, too big and you can get timeouts, stick with 2000 if you want to be safe.

0 Kudos