How to share private maps to non-users?

04-06-2017 09:22 AM
ShawnRamsey
New Contributor II

I have a map with some sensitive material that I would like to share with the company I made it for. It appears that adding it to a group and sharing it via invitation does not work for public accounts. I can't add them to my organization because many people will view this map and there are only 4 member spots left in my plan. Does anyone know the best approach to this? 

Tags (1)
4 Replies
KellyGerrow
Esri Frequent Contributor

In order to view private maps, it's required that the user has a named user account and not a public account. If the users are only looking to view the apps you may want to look into a level 1 user type: Levels, roles, and privileges—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS 

Try getting in contact with your Esri Rep.

-Kelly

ShawnRamsey
New Contributor II

Thank you for your response. From what I understand, with my 5 User Subscription Plan, I can only invite three people to a level 1 user type. I need to share this confidential map to possibly dozens of people. It seems like there has to be a way to share proprietary maps to multiple people without a paid organization setup.

0 Kudos
AndyFairbairn
Occasional Contributor

Hi Shawn

This is possibly a sledge hammer to crack a nut option, depending on your situation - if you have access to a web server you can use it to host an app (created in AGOL or in dev kit) that contain your map, and use a poxy on this server to handle authentication to get the confidential data from AGOL (i.e. the data doesn't need to be shared publicly "everyone" to be pulled into the separately hosted app).  You can then use a method of your choosing to limit access to the app on your own webserver.

I've used this method in a slightly different scenario where I couldn't publish the data itself publicly on AGOL, due to licencing restrictions etc., but wanted to display it, with pop-ups, in an interactive web map on a public facing web page.  

Some links to further info, but as I say, might be more hassle than it is worth.

https://blogs.esri.com/esri/supportcenter/2015/10/28/setting-up-a-proxy-with-web-appbuilder-for-arcg...

https://community.esri.com/thread/121212

there is a similar thread to yours here (an I'm sure there are many more) with a link to vote on a feature that would help with your situation 

Private Links for Sharing Maps/Apps in ArcGIS Online 

Cheers, 

Andy.

ShawnRamsey
New Contributor II

As a web developer in my previous job, a similar solution came to mind. It does seem like a lot of hoops to jump through for such a simple request. I did read the thread that you provided prior to posting and was hoping a solution had been discovered or put in place by ESRI. I'll dig through the blog post you sent. If all else fails, I assume this is my only option. Thank you for your reply!

0 Kudos