How to share both inside and outside organiziation, but NOT PUBLIC

01-24-2014 06:34 PM
ScottMcGee
Occasional Contributor
I'm working on a project that involves people inside our organization (U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service) and people at other Federal and State agencies (outside of our organization). They need to see our stuff, but it should not be open to the public. I can't figure out how to do this.

How do I share both inside and outside our organization, but NOT to the public? Is this even possible?
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
The people outside your organization must have their own organizational subscription. In this case, you can create a group and invite those people in. In order for you to find those people to add to the group, their profile must be set to allow public access. Once added to the group, items shared to the group will be visible to all members. People with free public accounts will not be able to join your group.

Thanks,

Mike
AdamAull
New Contributor II
If outsiders can find your REST endpoint, then the services are available to anyone. You need to place a user and password on the service in ArcGIS for Server. ArcGIS Online provides no security to the services' sources.
0 Kudos
USFS_AGOLAdministrator
New Contributor III
I believe you can create a group in your organization, then invite whoever you want to that group, whether or not they have their own organizational account.  So if you have an organizational account already, create a group, then invite only those people you want to the group using their email address.  I've invited several people to my group that don't have their own organizational account. after you invite the users you want, setup the group permissions to only that group.
0 Kudos
PtomHarner
New Contributor III
I believe you can create a group in your organization, then invite whoever you want to that group, whether or not they have their own organizational account.  So if you have an organizational account already, create a group, then invite only those people you want to the group using their email address.  I've invited several people to my group that don't have their own organizational account. after you invite the users you want, setup the group permissions to only that group.

I recently tried this, and although you can send the invite, the invitee gets an error message when they try to join that they "don't have an organizational account".
0 Kudos
USFS_AGOLAdministrator
New Contributor III
I just invited my wife (who doesn't have an organizational account) to my group, she was able to join and start making maps with no problems.
0 Kudos
PtomHarner
New Contributor III
I just invited my wife (who doesn't have an organizational account) to my group, she was able to join and start making maps with no problems.

A few posts up, mikem states that "The people outside your organization must have their own organizational subscription.".

mikem, could you clarify please? My experience backs up your statement, but pbartsch's appears to contradict it.
0 Kudos
KellyGerrow
Esri Frequent Contributor

This is a really old post,

But check out how to share across organizations using this blog:

https://www.esri.com/arcgis-blog/products/arcgis-online/sharing-collaboration/sharing-and-collaborat...

0 Kudos
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor

The system doesn't allow someone with a public account to join a group owned by someone with an organizational account, nor vice versa. We never allowed this, as far as I can recall. However, there may have been a bug back in 2014??

Mike

0 Kudos