How to just COPY data in an AGOL to Portal Collaboration?

Jump to solution
07-30-2019 08:00 AM
AdamRepsher
Occasional Contributor III

I am attempting to copy data from an ArcGIS Online organization to an ArcGIS EnterprisePortal for ArcGIS‌.  I have a collaboration‌ set up that does work, where the guest (Portal) sends and receives.

My problem: A feature layer that originates in AGOL which is editable AND keeps track of who edits or updates - has its attributes for Creator, CreationDate, Editor, and EditDate updated with the time of the Collaboration Sync and the Collaboration Sync User name.  I need to keep all of that information as it was in the original AGOL data.

How do I accomplish this?

I have tried to create a different view layer of it, and shared that to the collaboration.  I can't tell the view layer to not keep track of who created and last updated features because it is grayed out:

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

--Adam

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Adam Repsher‌ - thanks for the response on this. You're right about the similarity in credential storage, but I want to make sure our workflows are the same here.

I ran a couple of tests to confirm what our documentation states: "To use the reference, all collaboration participants must have access to the original portal; for secured views, participants will need to authenticate in the original portal as a member who has access to the layer or view being shared". When setting up the collaboration, there is no spot in the GUI to choose that you want to store credentials with referenced items. Then, when I access a collaborated item in Portal that references a secured Hosted Feature Layer in ArcGIS Online, I am always prompted for ArcGIS Online credentials (after already authenticating to the Portal). 

When sharing Feature Layers as copies, credentials to the origin portal are not required to use the collaborated layer because a new Hosted Feature Layer is created in the guest organization. You are right that the stored credentials of the user that accepted the collaboration invitation authenticate for the copying of data across organizations. 

The recommended way to add secured ArcGIS Online content to Portal is by adding a Web Service from the Content page, and choosing to store credentials. However, these items should just be used for visualization, as any edits made to the layer via Portal will have the ArcGIS Online user's credentials are that are stored as the editor.

If you have found a way to store credentials with referenced items in Distributed Collaboration I would definitely be interested in the workflow. 

Best regards,

-Peter

View solution in original post

11 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Adam Repsher

It is expected behavior for the Creator, CreationDate, Editor, and EditDate fields to be overwritten with the Collaboration Sync user name / sync time. This is currently a technical limitation when sharing an item as a copy. The way to preserve the fields is to share the layer as a reference. 

Hope that helps,

Peter

AdamRepsher

Thank you for the information Peter Klingman‌,

Wondering then, with the collaboration between my Portal for ArcGIS and my ArcGIS Online Organization:

Does my user in Portal (who has a seat in Portal) ALSO need credentials in ArcGIS Online to access that referenced layer?

--Adam

0 Kudos
LarryJahn
Occasional Contributor

arepsher wrote:

Thank you for the information Peter Klingman,

Wondering then, with the collaboration between my Portal for ArcGIS and my ArcGIS Online Organization:

Does my user in Portal (who has a seat in Portal) ALSO need credentials in ArcGIS Online to access that referenced layer?

--Adam

I would also like to know the answer to this question.  It would seem counterproductive when setting up a Collaboration to require a login on both sides (AGOL & Portal).

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Larry Jahn‌, Adam Repsher‌ - 

Thanks for the questions here - If the referenced layer is not shared with everyone then credentials for both ArcGIS Online and Portal will be required: Share content with collaboration groups—Portal for ArcGIS (10.7 and 10.7.1) | ArcGIS Enterprise. This is because the item in the destination portal references the URL in the origin Portal - if that layer is secured then when that URL is requested it will continue to prompt for credentials. I can completely see the rationale for storing credentials with items collaborated as references though - I would recommend logging an idea for it here: ArcGIS Ideas

Hope that helps!

-Peter

0 Kudos
LarryJahn
Occasional Contributor

My question wasn't very clear, so apologies.  What I am asking is if I am the AGOL collaboration host, I shouldn't need to give invitees a login through my AGOL subscription in order for them to access, correct?  They should be able to login with their Portal credentials, right?

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Larry Jahn‌ - thanks for clarifying your question here. My fault for linking to the Enterprise Doc - the appropriate documentation is here.

As the ArcGIS Online collaboration host, if the Hosted Feature Layer is shared with Everyone, then the Portal user will not need ArcGIS Online credentials to access the item. If the Hosted Feature Layer or View is not shared with everyone, the Portal user will need an ArcGIS Online login to access the referenced layer. This is because when an item is collaborated as a reference from ArcGIS Online to Portal, the service URL still looks at ArcGIS Online.

As I noted above, I think that storing ArcGIS Online credentials with an item collaborated to Portal, thereby enabling only a Portal login to access a secured Hosted Feature Layer or View in ArcGIS Online, would be a valid idea for the ArcGIS Ideas site: ArcGIS Ideas

Thanks,

Peter

0 Kudos
LarryJahn
Occasional Contributor

Peter,

Thanks for the reply.  When you say shared with "everyone", do you mean making the layer public?  If so, I don't think a collaboration will work for what we are doing, as the data needs to remain private.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Larry Jahn‌,

I do mean making the layer Public when I say share with Everyone. 

Here is the doc on storing credentials with a service in Portal, which will enable Portal users to access a secured ArcGIS Online Hosted Feature Layer with only Portal credentials. 

Thanks,

Peter

0 Kudos
AdamRepsher

Peter Klingman wrote:

As I noted above, I think that storing ArcGIS Online credentials with an item collaborated to Portal, thereby enabling only a Portal login to access a secured Hosted Feature Layer or View in ArcGIS Online, would be a valid idea for the ArcGIS Ideas site: ArcGIS Ideas

Thanks,

Peter

Peter Klingman‌,

So this feature would be like how Portal already stores credentials for things like Living Atlas content from ArcGIS Online?  It already allows for storing logins when setting up the Collaboration.... 

--Adam

0 Kudos