How to have interactive filters (with drop down) and legend on web app in ArcGIS Online?

Jump to solution
03-28-2015 11:44 PM
HrishirajBhattacharjee1
New Contributor

Hi Everyone,

I am new to this forum and also on ArcGIS Online. I am trying to develop a basic webapp using ArcGIS Online where there should be an interactive filter plus also the legend. But I am facing the following problems:

1. Problems with interactive filters: While I am able to get filters in the webapp, the problem is that the user needs to manually enter the values to the filter. Is there any way in which this could be made into a drop down list?

I know this question has been raised a few times in this community, but none of the discussions had any resolution - at least not one that I am aware of.

2. Cant get legends with interactive filters in webapp: The existing templates for creating web apps dont have both filters and legends in the same template. Is there any way in which I can get both interactive filters and legends on the same web app. This functionality is extremely important for my purpose.

Thanking you in advance.

Regards,

Hrishiraj.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
crystalmcdermott
New Contributor II

Kyle,

Did the interactive drop-down lists work once you created the domain classes?  I haven't found any documentation from ESRI on this yet.

I wonder when ESRI Support going to point this out in the help section.  It would save a lot of searching and headaches.

Apply filters—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
13 Replies
KyleBalke__GISP
Occasional Contributor III

I am also having a problem with interactive filters...I have successfully created an interactive filter with one field from a feature layer but have been unsuccessful with every other field and or feature layer I try.

Kyle

KyleBalke__GISP

I just spoke with Esri Technical Support and we determined that the interactive drop-down list will only work with fields that have been published with a domain class.

crystalmcdermott
New Contributor II

Kyle,

Did the interactive drop-down lists work once you created the domain classes?  I haven't found any documentation from ESRI on this yet.

I wonder when ESRI Support going to point this out in the help section.  It would save a lot of searching and headaches.

0 Kudos
KyleBalke__GISP

Correct...I just went back to the documentation and did not see anything either.

KellyGerrow
Esri Frequent Contributor

This is now included in the considerations for filters:

CélineRoman1
New Contributor II

Hi,

I'm having the same issue with the dropdown list. What do you mean by fields that have been published with a domain class?

Thanks,

Céline

KyleBalke__GISP

Before publishing your feature service the fields you want to participate in your filtering drop down list must be setup using attribute domains.

Exercise 3: Create subtypes and attribute domains—ArcGIS Help | ArcGIS for Desktop

CélineRoman1
New Contributor II

Thanks for your reply, Kyle.

Does it mean I necessarily have to do this with ArcMap Desktop or is it possible to handle this in Arcgis online?

I was simply working with .csv files until now.

0 Kudos
KyleBalke__GISP

Yes, you will need to create a feature class with Desktop, add the attribute domains, and then publish to ArcGIS Online from ArcMap.