How to Group Feature Layer while publishing to ArcGIS Server or Arc online?

Jump to solution
08-30-2017 11:12 AM
James_001
Occasional Contributor II

Hi,

I have different feature layers in file geodatabase and I was trying to publish as feature services. I have created a group in ArcGIS Desktop before publishing feature service but after the publishing, it lost the grouping of layers in both ArcGIS Server and ArcGIS Online. Any idea how to resolve this problem.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

ArcGIS Online hosted feature layers do not support group layers at this time. This will change in the future but the ability to group layers in the web map viewer is dependent on the map viewer migration to the 4.x JSAPI.

In short the only way to get group layers in ArcGIS Online is to publish a map service to ArcGIS Enterprise and then consume that service in the web map viewer. ArcGIS Enterprise feature services also do not support group layers.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

ArcGIS Online hosted feature layers do not support group layers at this time. This will change in the future but the ability to group layers in the web map viewer is dependent on the map viewer migration to the 4.x JSAPI.

In short the only way to get group layers in ArcGIS Online is to publish a map service to ArcGIS Enterprise and then consume that service in the web map viewer. ArcGIS Enterprise feature services also do not support group layers.

James_001
Occasional Contributor II

Thank you, Katie, for your reply. I did in ArcGIS Server by publishing a map service. For this time it is ok, I hope in the future ESRI will do the grouping option in ArcGIS online.

PLS_KateGladstein
New Contributor III

Hi Katie, I have the same question. I know that I cannot publish an AGOL feature service with layers grouped, but I am seeing a lot more AGOL services (not feature, map or layer) from other organizations that ARE grouped, and I wonder what they are doing that I am not doing.

I tried publishing as a map service and looked great but could not open in map viewer, the only option was to open in ArcMAP. I tried publishing as layer package and had the same results.

We do have Enterprise but I don't know how to publish to/with that? Could you please advise? I feel like I am close to figuring this out.

0 Kudos