How to generate named users for contractor field crews?

01-15-2020 01:21 PM
PaulGiglio
New Contributor

We have developed a collector app that will be utilized by internal employees and our contractors.
There will be up to 50 contractor crews that will be utilizing the app to input information.
For tracking purposes, mainly identifying who is collecting, we would like to set each contractor’s crew up as a named user.
For example, Field.Crew01_city, Field.Crew02_city, etc.…
This would require our contractors to provide unique email accounts, each assigned to an individual, to accomplish this.
For example, the contractors can set up emails for Crew01@contractorX.com, Crew02@contractorX.com, etc.…
The intent is that the contractor would not share these user ids, but one individual would manage each ESRI and email account. That individual could be reassigned by our contractor as required.
Would this be acceptable practice / allowable under the master agreement?
Looking at some of the global users, I do see some user ids with “teams” and “crews”, numbered as well.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
FC_Basson
MVP Regular Contributor

I'm sure the Python API will be of use here to automate the user management.  

ArcGIS API for Python | ArcGIS for Developers 

You can look at the following links:

Batch creation of Groups | ArcGIS for Developers 

Accessing and managing users | ArcGIS for Developers 

You can run the Python code through Pro or a Jupyter notebook (Project Jupyter | Home )

0 Kudos
GarethFinney1
New Contributor III

I think this is a great question Paul.
We too have a pretty transient population of Field workers being in the Fire industry, and need some more 'generic' accounts that can be shared around - say a Work Centre or Depot. 

We'd even prefer the notion of a single email address to the local GIS Officer or someone local to the region that will manage their users and the devices as they are deployed.

0 Kudos