How to distinguish multiple points at the same location?

03-29-2022 10:08 AM
BobChristensen
Occasional Contributor

Hi, I am building a web map to share information about projects occurring in a number of communities throughout our region. The hosted feature layer is being created and updated via survey 123 and it is a point type with locations deriving from zip codes. When we have multiple projects with the same zip code the points cover each other up. I see that clustering enables the viewer to see that there are multiple points at the same location, but it is not clear to me how to let the viewer know that the points represent multiple types of projects, and it is not clear to me how to give the viewer the option to learn more about each project. I see I can enable popups for the cluster of points but would appreciate some help on how to make the popup more informative. I would like the popup to summarize.

1. Total number of projects
  2. Pie chart of project dollars by project type
  3. Clickable link to learn more about each specific project

It looks like this should be doable, but I would appreciate some help with expressions or other means to achieve the above. 

Or other suggestions for how to allow a viewer to interact and learn about information in overlapping points. 

0 Kudos
6 Replies
ABishop
MVP Regular Contributor

Hello Bob,

In order for me to assist you, I would like to know more about your data.  The information you listed for the popup to summarize, does it exist in your feature layer as an attribute?  example: project count, project dollars, project type, link to project?

Amanda Bishop, GISP
0 Kudos
BobChristensen
Occasional Contributor

Hi Amanda, thanks for reaching out. I inserted a screenshot of the feature layer table fields for your reference. 

Screenshot 2022-03-29 105110.jpg

0 Kudos
BobChristensen
Occasional Contributor

And here is a link to the dashboard where I am working on sharing this information. 

Spruce Root BBBRC Final Projects (arcgis.com)

0 Kudos
ABishop
MVP Regular Contributor

Nice dashboard!

It looks like you have one of your bases covered with the built-in functionality of the popup.  You are missing the link for project details and the pie chart.  For the link, I would suggest including it in your hosted feature layer's attributes as a txt field called "prj_link" and populate it with each projects website link and display it in your popup. For the pie chart, you could include it in another tab below the map frame and use your hosted feature service to create the pie chart specific to project stats.

Here is what I saw for your requested popup items fulfillment:

1. When you click on a point in the map and it contains a cluster, you see the screenshot below.  This gives the total number of features (#1 callout) and then gives you a link (#2 callout) to browse the features.

ABishop_0-1648581369952.png

2.  When you click the "Browse features" link, you go to a scrollable list where you can click on an individual project in the list and get the details:

ABishop_1-1648581508110.png

3. After clicking on one of the projects in the browse feature list, you can see details of the project:

ABishop_2-1648582128747.png

Amanda Bishop, GISP
0 Kudos
KristianEkenes
Esri Regular Contributor
0 Kudos
RobinDiSalvo1
Occasional Contributor

Bob, nice job on the dashboard!

0 Kudos