Select to view content in your preferred language

How to deal with a large file

08-22-2013 04:25 PM
ErikFernandez
Occasional Contributor
I've got a large shapefile (lots of polygons) that I've uploaded to an arcgis online map. I am then embedding the map in our website. Due to the large number of polygons it draws slowly. Is there a way to speed that up?  Maybe converting the shapefile to an image?  Suggestions much appreciated.
Erik
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
TimWitt
Deactivated User
Erik,

do you have an organizational account or a a free account?
With an organizational account you can upload a tiled feature service, which would cache your polygons and improve the performance tremendously.

Tim
0 Kudos
ErikFernandez
Occasional Contributor
Thanks Tim. I just upgraded to 10.2 and I think I may have automatically gotten an organizational account. I'll have to look into creating the tile feature service, haven't used that before, but it sounds like it might do the trick from what I know about it.

Erik,

do you have an organizational account or a a free account?
With an organizational account you can upload a tiled feature service, which would cache your polygons and improve the performance tremendously.

Tim
0 Kudos
ErikFernandez
Occasional Contributor
I tried using the tile service. Unfortunately the problem I have with it being a large shapefile with lots of polygons (thus drawing slowly) also means that with the tiling service it would require lots of credits (analyze function tells me it would exceed credits by 3,570%. We're a non profit, so we don't have a budget for purchasing credits.    Any other suggestions to speed up the display/draw time?
Thanks,
Erik
0 Kudos
TimWitt
Deactivated User
If the first time you tried it you used a zipped shapefile, try using just a feature service with your organizational account.
0 Kudos
HeathBrackett1
Frequent Contributor
Erik,

Does your non-profit have ArcGIS for Server?  Hosting the service there could help.

If not, you could also consider tiling the service for small scales (which don't use too many tiles (read: cheap), but will display many shapes at once) and displaying the feature service once you've zoomed in enough that the number of polygons displayed is minimal.  That should help the performance a bit, but would require 2 services in the map with scale ranges set.

Heath
0 Kudos
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
you might try generalizing your polygon data. Often data has many superfluous vertices. Eliminating those will reduce the size of the data being sent across the wire.

Thanks,

Mike
0 Kudos
AkosKisreti1
Frequent Contributor
I tried using the tile service. Unfortunately the problem I have with it being a large shapefile with lots of polygons (thus drawing slowly) also means that with the tiling service it would require lots of credits (analyze function tells me it would exceed credits by 3,570%. We're a non profit, so we don't have a budget for purchasing credits.    Any other suggestions to speed up the display/draw time?
Thanks,
Erik

Hi Erik,

There is another way to create and publish tile services. To do this you have to create tile packages in ArcGIS for Desktop and upload it to your AGOL account. In this case you don't use AGOL resources to create tiles, but your ArcGIS for Desktop.
To enable this option do the following:
- Go to Customize > ArcMap Options > Sharing
- Check the box next to "Enable ArcGIS Runtime Tools"
- Click OK
- Go to File > Share as > Tile Package
In the Tile Format box you have the opportunity to adjust the minimum scale.

After you uploaded the tile package (tpk) to your AGOL account, go to item properties in My Content and click on Publish.

This way it costs zero credits to create tiles.

Regards,
Akos
0 Kudos