How I can add a shapefile (< 1000 features and < 10mb) in ArcGIS Online?

Jump to solution
11-06-2017 04:23 PM
KatyaDiaz
New Contributor III

Hi everyone!

I had a shapefile with information about wetlands, but this was so big (170 Mb). After that I used "Dissolve" for decrease the number of features, "Generalize" for decrease the number of vertex, I exported differents shapefiles according atributes. After this, I have a lot of shapefiles, all of this have less than 10 Mb (150 Kb - 7Mb) but I can't upload. Show this: 

Some suggestion for this problem? I need make a map in ArcGIS Online for a Story Maps and I can't access to ArcGIS Server

Please!!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

After downloading your data I see there are only 8 features but that these are very large and complex. 5 of the 8 features also have geometry issues (self intersections) that I found with the check geometry tool in Pro. However, even after the geometry issues were repaired it still failed to upload directly to map viewer so the issue is likely with an excessive number of vertices. I ran the feature vertices to points tool in Pro and there are close to 280,000 vertices in this shapefile. 

I was able to publish the data as a hosted feature layer when I signed in with an organizational account. 

View solution in original post

8 Replies
CarmelConnolly
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Katya, 

If you've run Dissolve and Generalize on the shapefile, I'm assuming you have access to either ArcMap or ArcGIS Pro?

If you do, it's possible to publish the shapefile to ArcGIS Online from ArcMap or ArcGIS Pro. Using this method means there is no limit on size (that I'm aware of), and you can set additional layer properties like pop ups and symbology.

Carmel

KatyaDiaz
New Contributor III

Hi Carmel,

Yes... I used ArcMap for work, just that I never used before ArcGIS Server and I now that this an option to publish shapefiles from ArcMap. I don't know what happen with ArcGIS Online because my shapefiles have less than 10Mb, but I will try with ArcGIS Server for this process.

Thank you so much for your answer.

Katya

0 Kudos
CarmelConnolly
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Katya, 

The links I sent don't involved publishing the shapefile to ArcGIS Server, the data is publish to ArcGIS Online instead - the data will be stored the same as the it would be if 'Add layer from file' worked for you  

In ArcMap head to File > Sign In and enter your ArcGIS Online credentials > head to File > Share As > Service... > Publish a service > Under 'Choose a connection', you'll see the name of your ArcGIS Online account, this is what I see:

If you want to investigate why your shapefile doesn't work using 'Add layer from file', are you able to attach it here?

Carmel

KatyaDiaz
New Contributor III

Hi Carmel,

Well... I think that I know what happen... I work now in ArcGIS Online with my personal account (is not from some organization) and I don't have 'privileges' for publish files because I uploaded some files to "My content" but I can't publish like hosted features layers for this problem, do you think that this can be a problem?

I will try again with the account from my organization for sign in ArcGIS Online and will see what happen... 

This is one of the files that I need use for do a map in ArcGIS Online: File-Wetland

Katya

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Due to the size of the file it would have to be created as a hosted feature layer which you are correct cannot be done with a public account. As a work around for your public account you could break the file up into subsets and add it directly to the web map viewer. 

KatyaDiaz
New Contributor III

Hi Katie,

Exactly... I try this option (break the file) yesterday in some files with a size between 170 Kb to 7Mb, but I could not upload to ArcGIS Online (map viewer)... Really, I don't know why.

I wrote to IT personal of my organization for help me with a organizational account for use hosted feature layer because I have big shapefiles and raster that I need use for my Story Maps.

Katya

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

After downloading your data I see there are only 8 features but that these are very large and complex. 5 of the 8 features also have geometry issues (self intersections) that I found with the check geometry tool in Pro. However, even after the geometry issues were repaired it still failed to upload directly to map viewer so the issue is likely with an excessive number of vertices. I ran the feature vertices to points tool in Pro and there are close to 280,000 vertices in this shapefile. 

I was able to publish the data as a hosted feature layer when I signed in with an organizational account. 

KatyaDiaz
New Contributor III

Hi Katie,

Well... The file that uploaded have an excessive number of vertices, I generalized the file (20 meters of tolerance) and for this, have self intersections (I don't repair this after). 

My option now is use an organizational account for publish this information...

0 Kudos