How do you turn off fields and change symbology in a AGOL View Layer

Jump to solution
07-25-2019 02:37 PM
AdamDaily
Occasional Contributor II

I created a view of a feature layer in AGOL. In the "Data" tab I click show/hide columns but there is NO option to turn on/off all fields in the data table. My layer has hundreds of fields. I need about 10 of them. If you uncheck them here, and then go to another tab, all of the fields reset and turn back on again. I'm guessing there is another place to do this, although this Data tab seems like the logical place to control the attribute fields for your table view.

How do I turn these off and keep them off when using this layer (and hopefully not one at a time)?

In the visualization tab, I want to change symbology of my point layer. I click on change style, and NO options are available in the drop down under step 1 "Choose an attribute to show". I also can't click on or open the "OPTIONS" in step 2 under "Select a drawing style". 

Why is the drop down empty? Why cant I open up options in step 2? How do I change simple map layer symbology?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Egge-Jan_Pollé
MVP Regular Contributor

Hi Adam,

Your first question is: How do you turn off fields in a AGOL View Layer?

The answer is: You don't set this on the Data tab, but on the Visualization tab instead.

On this Visualization tab, click More Options (the dots) and in the menu choose Set View Definition > Define Fields (see screen capture

Define the fields that will be available in this layer. Unselected fields are completely hidden to others. If the field is grayed out in the list, its visibility can't be changed.

In this dialog you can also check/uncheck all fields at once by clicking the checkbox next to Field Name.

Your second question is: How do you change symbology in a AGOL View Layer?

The answer is: you are on the right track. I tested this on my view and it works for me.

So, I don't know why you get an empty drop down list... 😞

• Can this be caused by the large number of fields in the service (you say "hundreds of fields")?
  • Can you please check and try to change the symbology on the original feature layer the view is based on? In this way you can establish whether it actually is an issue on the view layer, or on the featureset as a whole.
  • Does the issue still occur after you have limited the number of fields to 10 (see step 1 above)?

Please keep us posted.

HTH,

Egge-Jan

View solution in original post

6 Replies
Egge-Jan_Pollé
MVP Regular Contributor

Hi Adam,

Your first question is: How do you turn off fields in a AGOL View Layer?

The answer is: You don't set this on the Data tab, but on the Visualization tab instead.

On this Visualization tab, click More Options (the dots) and in the menu choose Set View Definition > Define Fields (see screen capture

Define the fields that will be available in this layer. Unselected fields are completely hidden to others. If the field is grayed out in the list, its visibility can't be changed.

In this dialog you can also check/uncheck all fields at once by clicking the checkbox next to Field Name.

Your second question is: How do you change symbology in a AGOL View Layer?

The answer is: you are on the right track. I tested this on my view and it works for me.

So, I don't know why you get an empty drop down list... 😞

• Can this be caused by the large number of fields in the service (you say "hundreds of fields")?
  • Can you please check and try to change the symbology on the original feature layer the view is based on? In this way you can establish whether it actually is an issue on the view layer, or on the featureset as a whole.
  • Does the issue still occur after you have limited the number of fields to 10 (see step 1 above)?

Please keep us posted.

HTH,

Egge-Jan

AdamDaily

Egge-Jan Pollé‌,

Thank you for the quick response and for the info. It appears my first problem (limiting fields) was also the cause of my second problem (symbology).

I did notice when going into view definition / define fields, that if you click the very top box where it says "Field Name" you can turn all of your fields on/off. So glad I did not have to do that manually, my layer has nearly 500 fields.

Having too many fields was the cause of symbology not working. Without a field selected, the symbology menu in step 2 will not open. It would be nice if there was a message/warning in AGOL indicating what the maximum number of allowed fields is, or something in the documentation about this limitation. Does anyone know the answer to that? 

Egge-Jan_Pollé
MVP Regular Contributor

Hi Adam Daily,

Thanks for your reply. Apparently I did overlook the option to check/uncheck all fields at once using the checkbox next to Field Name. (I have modified my initial answer above...)

Doesn't this mean that both your questions have been answered? ("How do you turn off fields and change symbology in a AGOL View Layer")

Since your question has been answered you may close it by marking my answer as correct.

Cheers,

Egge-Jan

0 Kudos
AdamDaily

Thank you, 

I have marked this question as answered, though I still do have a question as to what is the limit for number of fields in a layer that will cause the symbology/change style dropdown options to no longer work? 

0 Kudos
Egge-Jan_Pollé
MVP Regular Contributor

Hi Adam Daily,

Thanks.

You might ask this additional question (about the limit for number of fields in a layer) in a new thread to the entire community. I did do some googling and I found this discussion:

Which is the limit of the number of fields that a Feature Layer hosted one can have? 

Here, in the end, the issue was not the number of fields but an invalid character in one of the field names. Could it be that in your case the trouble is caused by a similar issue?

Egge-Jan

0 Kudos
AdamDaily

I don't believe there are any special characters in any of the field names, but with nearly 500 fields it is possible. That problem looks a little different, but good to know in case I encounter it. I'll throw that question out in another thread. Thanks for your help on this one.

0 Kudos