Select to view content in your preferred language

How do you back up content in ArcGIS Online?

09-19-2014 03:39 PM
HeathBrackett1
Frequent Contributor

Does anybody have any recommendations for backing up Feature Services in ArcGIS Online?  I would ideally like to be able to save the Service Definition files to one of our servers and use them to recover lost/deleted data.  The problem is that the Service Definition file is only relevant to the time that the Feature Service was created.  So if I change the popup configuration, change symbology, or edit features within ArcGIS Online and "Save Layer", these changes are not updated within the Service Definition file.  We need a way to create a recoverable snapshot of our data.

Is there another way to handle this?  I believe that the popup configuration and symbology can be accessed through the JSON, but you can't access feature geometry and table records through JSON.  Is that correct?

Does ESRI have any plans for lost data recovery in ArcGIS Online?

Thanks,

Heath

13 Replies
Nicole_Ueberschär
Esri Regular Contributor

In case someone is still following up on this: 

I tried the ArcGIS Online Assistant and was able to copy a feature service between two subscriptions but I had to redo the map and the two apps to be linked to this new copied feature service and not the original one. This makes somehow sense since the links are all "absolute" but it is still a pain. This means I still have to reconfigure the style and popups in my map. For the apps it was a bit strange. I can put the new map for the app but the save button is not active. When I just close it is still saved and then I can reconfigure the other settings. At least this worked for one simple app now. But if I want to move lets say 20 apps it gets really time consuming. And if I have to do the whole map (or maybe 100) again this gets really annoying. 

0 Kudos
NorthSouthGIS
Frequent Contributor

You should post these enhancements as new ideas.

Nicole_Ueberschär
Esri Regular Contributor
0 Kudos
SSMIC3038
Frequent Contributor

Old post but I have the exact same question with the exception that its AGOL but local Enterprise Database. Hoping something on this front has been created.

0 Kudos