How do you allow other users to edit your web mapping applications in ArcGIS online?

Jump to solution
03-30-2020 08:50 AM
BenJackson
New Contributor III

Myself and my team are working on an application within ArcGIS online, which we created in the web app builder. We can all access the app as we are part of the same user group, but only the creator of the app appears to be able to edit it, and we cannot find any settings that will allow the rest of us to edit as well. We are all creator level users. Is there a way of enabling the whole team to be able to edit the application?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Katie_Clark
MVP Regular Contributor

Ben Jackson‌, you can create a group with shared editing capabilities and then share the web map and application with that group. (and make sure the people who need edit access are members of that group)

Another option would be to change your user types to Administrator level if that's possible for you. Then you can edit all content, regardless of who the owner is. 

Best,
Katie

“The goal is not simply to ‘work hard, play hard.’ The goal is to make our work and our play indistinguishable.”
- Simon Sinek

View solution in original post

6 Replies
Katie_Clark
MVP Regular Contributor

Ben Jackson‌, you can create a group with shared editing capabilities and then share the web map and application with that group. (and make sure the people who need edit access are members of that group)

Another option would be to change your user types to Administrator level if that's possible for you. Then you can edit all content, regardless of who the owner is. 

Best,
Katie

“The goal is not simply to ‘work hard, play hard.’ The goal is to make our work and our play indistinguishable.”
- Simon Sinek
RichardRogers1
New Contributor II

This is exactly what I want to do (allow other group members to edit an existing webapp that I "own"; however, the option radio buttons that you describe are not available to me when I create a new group.  Is it possible that this due to my "user type"(creator) or "role" (publisher)?

There is an option to allow others to contribute content, but this is not the same as editing.  This seems like such a rudimentary function of group sharing that should be available to folks who are developing content.

RichardRogers1_0-1626278201735.png

JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Ben,

When you create the Group, under the setting What items in the group can its members update?, check on the option All items (group membership is limited to the organization).

Create groups—ArcGIS Online Help | Documentation 

Egge-Jan_Pollé
MVP Regular Contributor

Hi Ben Jackson‌,

The trick here is to change ownership, as only the owner can modify or edit a Web Mapping Application.

From your description of their rights, it looks to me like all your team members have the power to take the ownership of the app themselves. I.e. it is not necessary for the owner to hand over ownership; a user with sufficient rights can take it anyway...

Does this solve your issue?

Egge-Jan

0 Kudos
BenJackson
New Contributor III

Hi all,

Thanks for your replies. It seems the issue is that none of us have sufficient permissions to create a group with update capabilities. I'll have to ask an Administrator to do that for me. Once that's done, I'll see if it works at the point, and if so I'll mark this as answered.

0 Kudos
Scoth
by
New Contributor III

I'm wondering if a Facilitator role would be sufficient, or if it has to be an Administrator role. The documentation doesn't specify for this use case.

0 Kudos