How can you auto-populate a field using an attribute of another feature?

11-02-2020 10:38 PM
Rey_A_Santiago
New Contributor II

We’re using ArcGIS collector with a point layer to assess damaged locations. The points (locations) are located within polygons of a parcel layer. I’d like to auto-populate a parcel id field in the point layer with the parcel id from the parcel layer when I add a point within a parcel. How can I accomplish this?

Thanks, in advance, for your help.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Your best bet is to use a URL passthrough, maybe from Explorer to collector. Not sure if you can open one map in both apps to accomplish this or not - I haven't tried that. But in theory you would open the map in Explorer, click a parcel, and then use the url passthrough to pass the parcel ID into a field in the point in Collector? I've done this with Explorer/Collector and Collector/S123. You might also be able to use some of the new Arcade in popups to accomplish this, but the required learning Arcade.  Or if you have an enterprise setup you can use Arcade and an attribute rule to pull the parcel id of the polygon that the point is within, but that's a bit more complex.

Easiest would be a url passthrough.

0 Kudos
Rey_A_Santiago
New Contributor II

Thank you Nathan! I'll pass on this suggestion for researching. 

0 Kudos
Rey_A_Santiago
New Contributor II

Nathan, thanks for your your suggestion but it will not work in our case. Our field personnel will be using Collector to fill out an assessment and do not want to use Explorer. So we need to figure out a means to pass the parcel id from the parcel layer into the points layer as soon as a point is created, all within the Collector map.

0 Kudos
MichaelRuffino1
New Contributor II

Did you end finding a way to accomplish this?

0 Kudos
Rey_A_Santiago
New Contributor II

No we haven't discovered a method, yet.

0 Kudos