How can I specify the data types for the columns in a CSV I upload?

Jump to solution
02-16-2018 01:38 PM
MauricioGongora
New Contributor III

I'm trying to upload data to a feature layer using a CSV file, but some columns that are strings, ArcGIS recognized it as a number and I can't wire that columns. A dummy row don't work for me because I have to load three values that are choices and they are string type. The disponibles choices are "1", "2", or "3", if I use a dummy row to set those columns as string, for example "abc123", an Object Null Reference Exception is thrown, because "abc123" is an avoide value for these fields.

There is any way to specify that a column is a string type instead a number, when the value is "1", "2", etc?

0 Kudos
11 Replies
MauricioGongora
New Contributor III

Hi Xander, thank you, that is a good solution, there is any way to relate the new layer created through that way with the older layer that was created from a survey, since the applications are tied to the current layer?

Uploading the CSV file as a new layer I can create data domain for a select type field?

Best Regards

0 Kudos
XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Maybe this document can help: How To: Add coded value domains to a hosted feature service in ArcGIS Online 

If you have a web map / web application that is consuming the "old" service, you could use ArcGIS Online Assistant to redirect the service. Be careful, if the schema has changed you may need to edit the json itself (which is kinda risky) 

0 Kudos