How can I reorder fields in a service definition

Jump to solution
12-31-2018 12:35 PM
KatherinePadilla
Occasional Contributor

I had to add a few fields to my service definition and by default they are added to the end of the service definition.  I would like to move them higher up in the definition.  How can I go about doing this?  I have tried to use Update definition in JSON and got a confirmation that updates were made.  When I went to check to see if they updates were made there were not.  Any ideas?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JoeCatanzarita1
Occasional Contributor II

Hi Katherine Padilla!

Sorry to hear that the Update Definition didn't make a difference for you.

There are two possible avenues that come to mind:

1. Reorder the fields in ArcMap or ArcGIS Pro, then republish the service to ArcGIS Online.
  2. Utilize ArcGIS Online Assistant to physically rearrange the JSON to your liking.

While I've used ArcGIS Online Assistant before, I haven't actually used it for this specific purpose. If you do want to go this route, I'd recommend making a copy of your service before you make any edits, just in case there are issues with the service afterwards. 

If you'd like more information on how to try and rearrange the JSON via ArcGIS Online Assistant, let me know!

Cheers,

Joe

View solution in original post

4 Replies
JoeCatanzarita1
Occasional Contributor II

Hi Katherine Padilla!

Sorry to hear that the Update Definition didn't make a difference for you.

There are two possible avenues that come to mind:

1. Reorder the fields in ArcMap or ArcGIS Pro, then republish the service to ArcGIS Online.
  2. Utilize ArcGIS Online Assistant to physically rearrange the JSON to your liking.

While I've used ArcGIS Online Assistant before, I haven't actually used it for this specific purpose. If you do want to go this route, I'd recommend making a copy of your service before you make any edits, just in case there are issues with the service afterwards. 

If you'd like more information on how to try and rearrange the JSON via ArcGIS Online Assistant, let me know!

Cheers,

Joe

AndresCastillo
MVP Regular Contributor

Also try the x-ray extension to change field order, then republish.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Joe, 

I have been attempting the ArcGIS Online assistant to rearrange field order in a service with no luck, can you provide any additional help. 

Thanks 

Jeff

0 Kudos
KatherinePadilla
Occasional Contributor

Hey Jeff

I will say when I marked this as a correct answer there were some quarks.  I did not try the x-ray extension.  I did try to use ArcGIS Online Assistant.  I did find that when I modified the JSON in ArcGIS Online Assistant the changes were reflected in the AGO table and pop ups and some other areas but when it came down to looking at the fields in AGO the order did not change.  I did not find a way to make a hard change on the field order to see it reflected across the board.  This was my experience and accomplished the basics of what I needed for my user interface, I just deal with on the back end the items being out of order.  I chose not to republish the service due to the risk to data integrity.

Katie.

0 Kudos