How can I prepare a map for a large physical print?

09-29-2022 01:32 PM
Labels (1)
VictorID
New Contributor

I'm making a basic zoning map for my city that includes basic information like road names and building footprints. Let's stick to road names although my question applies to a few layers. No matter what I set the visibility to, if I'm zoomed out to the scale that includes everything that needs to be included, the map will only display a few major road names, and the text is too large. This makes sense on my computer screen, but how can I have them all displayed on a file I send to a printing agency for a large print map? 

0 Kudos
3 Replies
wayfaringrob
Frequent Contributor

Hey there. Is your map on a layout, or are you still in map mode? What you're describing sounds like the behavior of a map. To add a layout, you'll go to Insert > Layout where you can add a layout -- a canvas, more or less. You can set the layout to the page size you're looking to print at, then, also from the insert tab, 'Map Frame.' You can then draw a map frame on the page, and then all your labels & symbology will scale accordingly for a print at that size.

VictorID
New Contributor

Thanks for the reply,

Does this advice apply to ArcGIS online? I don't have a good feel of where to find the insert option here, though I know this is what I would do in ArcGIS Desktop/Pro. If so, please give me more specific directions if possible. 

0 Kudos
wayfaringrob
Frequent Contributor

Oh shoot, I didn't realize you were in AGO. I am not so sure it's possible to make a publication-ready print from AGO. That is definitely a task for Desktop or Pro. My directions reflect Pro.