How can I Copy Symbology form one layer to another

03-20-2020 07:07 AM
ShaunDillon1
Occasional Contributor

I have a map in ArcGIS ONline that we make a new version of each year to use in Collector App. We put in new layers for the new year but keep three previous years of these layers. Somehow my previous colleague managed to copy the symbology from the previous years to the new (year)layers. How can I do this? I saw one post where they copied "Drawinginfo" in HTML/JSON but I know nothing about that and when I tried it, I cot an error message that I have no idea how to handle. But that post was three years old, so I was hoping this had been made easier in the meantime??

So can I copy symbology from one (similar)layer to another, or somehow import the layer into ArcGIS Online with the correct symbology?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Katie_Clark
MVP Regular Contributor

You could access the hosted layers within ArcGIS Pro and use the "Apply Symbology from Layer" tool.

Apply Symbology From Layer—Data Management toolbox | Documentation  

Best,
Katie

“The goal is not simply to ‘work hard, play hard.’ The goal is to make our work and our play indistinguishable.”
- Simon Sinek
0 Kudos
ShaunDillon1
Occasional Contributor

Finally saw a reason for the existence of "Pro". Thanks. Now I just have to figure out why the symbology shows up correctly in ArcGIS Online, but not when that map is uploaded to the collector app...

0 Kudos
Katie_Clark
MVP Regular Contributor

Yes, Pro is extremely useful for it's ability to better interact with the online environment!

What kind of symbology are you using, and which Collector (Classic or new)?

Best,
Katie

“The goal is not simply to ‘work hard, play hard.’ The goal is to make our work and our play indistinguishable.”
- Simon Sinek
0 Kudos
Katie_Clark
MVP Regular Contributor

Also, if that solution worked to answer your question, can you please mark this thread as answered to help others in the Geonet community? Thanks!

Best,
Katie

- Simon Sinek
0 Kudos
StephenWilson1
New Contributor

I have this same question. All solutions seem to point to "publish a hosted layer" which I could do at point, before our account admin set me to 'user' instead of 'publisher' (long story involving the use of service credits for geocoding.. Anyway, I no longer have the option to publish hosted layers in the User role, but still have to put together an updated bi-weekly report with layers created by drag and drop in Feature Collection (instead of Feature Service) and I have to spend about an hour redrawing, re-sizing and re-coloring 32 different map symbols by reading a list of point sizes, colors, transparency levels and outlines to match the previous symbols. Is there a way someone with a User profile without the ability to publish hosted layers can copy or import symbols to an updated layer?